View Single Post
Old 5 Feb 2016, 09:18 AM   #2
ioneja
Cornerstone of the Community

Not weird at all... FM's simple website hosting is, in my view, one of its secret weapons that people don't appreciate nearly enough. It is extremely limited compared to most hosting, so most people will just walk on by and not notice or care what it does. BUT, as for simple flat file hosting, it rocks... and the reason is because it is super stable and super fast. You are being put on an excellent quality server with superb network connectivity and bandwidth, and it will crank out flat file pages faster than anything in its price range.

So yes, you could build a static website and it will rock and roll. However, you will not get normal stats, and there are bandwidth and file limits you need to look at carefully to ensure that your design doesn't hit the ceiling. Obviously, FM engineers have balanced the system to prioritize the email service, and they have an interesting throttling algorithm so people can't overload FM's servers. Other than that, it will knock the socks off any comparable shared hosting in terms of performance. Also, the DNS service works well too, so it's easy to add a domain and get up and running. It's best suited to things that are simple IMO and you have to learn the ropes... but if you can stay within the limitations, it is a killer bonus feature of an FM account, and one of the reasons why I continue to be a customer. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekitron View Post
Hi budds,

This discussion titles seems a bit weird, ain't? Anyway, I am curious about FM's simple website hosting? I know, FM doesn't support server side scripting. Does it mean, if I a use a static site generator and it will work out of box? Suppose, I generate a static website using Jekyll and upload "files and folders" to Files, will it work?

Many thanks.
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote