View Single Post
Old 30 Sep 2021, 04:05 AM   #3
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
One of my identities though is defined as an "asterisk" one and for that I was given an opportunity to send the confirmation code to something nonsensical. I did not let it try it. Meantime I've raised a ticket with FM to ask if they've considered that sort of identity carefully enough in their Verify logic.
I have one of those too. It's for a alias identity of the form, for example *@mm.st. It's only an alias but it still asking to verify even though it is, as you say, "nonsensical" (at least for an alias).

I also had sent a ticket on this and recommended they should not place that verify button on it but display an error or warning instead if, for no other reason, to avoid user confusion since wildcard aliases with subdomains (e.g., *@foo.mm.st) don't require verification (because foo@mm.st was previously created as an alias). I think from a UI point of view some sort of explicit feedback would be desirable instead of placing that button on it.

At the moment they recommended just deleting it. Not sure why I added it in the first place except that it's probably been lying around from the time when I was first learning about sending identities some years ago when using such an identity was convenient to play around with.

I'm keeping it in for a while because I discovered that the verify button on it does not appear in the FM (iPhone) app. I'm curious to see when (or if) it does.

Update:
Just tried a test on that wildcard alias sending identity and it still works even though the verify button is still there.

Last edited by xyzzy : 30 Sep 2021 at 05:06 AM.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote