View Single Post
Old 5 Sep 2021, 11:14 PM   #23
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
As per "does this apply?" The question is, what happens when another country believes you have broken one of their laws? For instance, I have worked extensively in developing countries. I've seen MANY people accused of terrible crimes -- just to have an excuse for the government to get control of their businesses. And I need not discuss what's happening between a certain Asian country and Canada - where numerous people are being held, in retaliation to someone being held in Canada. There's plenty of news articles out there, these days, about "Exit Bans" and shadow courts - where American businesspeople and NGOs are being targeted. The crimes? Revealing state secrets. Anything, at any time, could be declared a state secret - and it has. I now know many people (business, even english teachers) who've found themselves charged with these crimes. Oh the stories I could tell. I'm not going to get into what happens in some of these smaller countries. Due process is NOT assured in the least. Don't even get me started on the Middle East.

If NO court order is required, then, well... it's the wild west of law enforcement. All it takes is a foreign country to pressure Australia, and threaten them with backlash -- and all they need to do is hand over data. With no court order required -- well, anything could happen. Unfortunately, we HAVE seen this happen plenty of times.

In short --- the Australian law takes away all accountability. This is a BIG security issue. Anyone who says "Don't do anything illegal" hasn't played in the real world of international politics / journalism / business / travel. All they know is what they've read on some internet forum, or what they see on TikTok or Reddit.

Re: Proton mail -- I'm well aware of Bridge -- and NO, that's not a solution, if you look into how it works. I'd have to download ALL my fastmail to an offline software, then use Bridge to upload that email to Proton... Nope... Not gonna do it. Every step increases the likelihood of lost data -- esp. when going through third party software.

Also with Proton, their Scripting is severely limited. Sieve scripting is missing most of the commands, that are available in Fastmail. Most of my scripts will NOT work in Proton.

Proton gives nice security at terrible expense of all the great features.

Last edited by ChinaLamb : 5 Sep 2021 at 11:23 PM.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote