View Single Post
Old 3 Sep 2019, 07:04 PM   #13
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
If that is in reference to using that [.@] in matches then try it in that sieve tester. Apparently sieves support of globbing is more restrictive. It didn't work when I tried it in sieve tester.

My ".+@(.*\\.)?linkedin\\.com$" means either nothing between the @ and the linkedin.com or something ending in a dot before the linkedin.com. This was because the conversation diverted into allowing subdomains before the linkedin.com. Now that I look at mine again I suppose I should have used .+@(.+\\.)?linkedin\\.com. You would end up with this in generated sieve code if you typed yours (single slash) as an organize rule. I tend to think of it as it appears in the actual sieve code.

And yes, I really meant address, not header. My mind has a tendency to mean one thing and write another too.
Thanks, xyzzy.

I got the gist of your code (thanks). but my question was specifically why two slahes were needed in succession. I can see that Fastmail translates my single slash into two, but why? ...I cannot see any reference to double-shlashing having a special meaning in regex (it seems to me that the first slash escapes the second slash).

thanks for being so helpful :-)
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote