View Single Post
Old 6 Sep 2017, 07:57 AM   #38
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
I see more and more people NOT using email.
The "death of email" has been predicted for many years, but I don't think there are any statistics to suggest that. Yes, there are many other messaging platforms, but they seem to be in addition to email, not instead of, in terms of overall message volume. I suppose it depends on the business and an individual, but I know for example that here in the USA email marketing is still the gold standard for communicating with people for most businesses and nonprofits. Typically, they also have social media platforms, but nobody wants to receive text messages from companies if they can help it. At least nobody I know, and I know of very few companies that ask to do so. Besides, you can't easily send large and multiple images and fully designed layouts via text, so you end up sending nothing but a link, requiring someone to click through, creating another hurdle to overcome. Sure, many people use it for social conversations, or to communicate with spouse and family, but I suspect the majority of those texts replaced phone calls and not emails. When it comes to serious, retrievable, searchable, actionable, and storeable messaging email is king for most businesses, government agencies, etc. I suspect that email will continue to be used that way for quite awhile, while various messaging platforms continue to thrive for short, social, and less intricate messages. One huge problem is that many messaging platforms don't communicate with each other, whereas you know that someone probably has a phone number and an email address that you can reach. That alone will keep email going.

Last edited by TenFour : 6 Sep 2017 at 08:07 AM.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote