View Single Post
Old 22 Jul 2019, 04:34 AM   #18
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by webecedarian View Post
I don’t want my own domain for this.
You don't have to if you're applying for jobs. The moment you'd run your own company (no matter how smile, like a webshop) or you're the employer, then it's a different story alltogether and an own domain makes it look all more professional. For a job application, I'm sure employers
a) look first and foremost to the content on your CV
b) will be very familiar with domains such as outlook.com, gmail.com, mail.com, and even hotmail.com and yahoo.com (as most people who go jobhunting don't even think that far about whether their email address could give a bad impression or not)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
This infographic sums up the free options. https://miro.medium.com/max/1819/1*V...KOG6eh9Zw.jpeg
Funny but also somewhat exagerated (but I guess that's part of the joke).

Most Yahoo users I know, use it because they've used it for many years and simply don't see why they would change email addresses with the inconvenience of having to notify everyone of a new address + losing all stored email. A similar logic is often used by people who have been using the same Hotmail address for over 10 years. Not having to change address for over a decade can be very convenient, which most Yahoo users probably value.

Also, you sometimes just need a Yahoo account even if it's not entirely what you want. Signing up for a Flickr photo site requires a Yahoo account for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
If (repeat: if) recruiters take the email address into account when evaluating applicants, they are much more likely to pay attention to the local_part (the bit to the left of @).

Something like sexy_mary@whatever is unlikely to create a positive impression. Admittedly this may depend on the kind of the job....
Exactly! Although I've seen job applicants who even use pseudonyms to the left of the @ which seem to be thought of during a night out in the pub. They somehow don't think that far that such address comes across unprofessional. (ironically, some of them still got the job)
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote