View Single Post
Old 25 Feb 2006, 09:36 PM   #9
Gankaku

Re: Online Notepads

Quote:
Originally posted by pine
Gankaku: How do you use the wiki, couldyou please detail a bit?
Sure pine, I'd be happy to elaborate.

You can use wikis for so many many things. If you take a look at Fastmaiil's wiki you can see that a wiki can be used to organize tons of information.

If you use it on the personal level, you an organize everything from notes to projects.

It's a little more different from OHB. In OHB you could just copy+paste stuff onto an OHB page and then just hit the save button. It made things tons and tons easier because the way OHB was written it would copy the HTML for you, so all the links and formatting would stay intact. That was the really nice thing about OHB.

With wikis, if you want a new page you have to make one, then get into that page and edit it to drop in some information. And then if you want a quick copy and paste - it's just text that goes in. However, if you want to keep the formatting intact you'd need to copy the HTML of that page. If you're using firefox there's a right click and copy the code, I think. Using FF would make it easier to get your data into a wiki.

If you're just using your wiki for textual notes to yourself, it might be easier to use like, stickies, or one of the online notepads. However, if you like to have all your notes in one place, and sometimes you like to keep lists which might have more information within, wikis can be nice to use.

Mostly I use my wiki for personal notes - stuff I find off the internet that I want to keep; color settings I like to use when I do my web pages; lists of things I want to buy listed by books I want to read, music I want to purchase, etc. I also have several pages that contain game links - I like certain games and I collect and document useful links for each game and explain what those links contain so I can find them easily next time. (bookmarking doesn't allow you to freely type whatever you want next to your link, and visually scan for your link on a page).
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote