View Single Post
Old 17 Sep 2002, 02:49 PM   #22
SanjaySheth
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by fb19
I've never accidentally deleted trash. And even if I did, it's just trash.
You've got to realize that you are not a very typical user. New users often hit things like the "Empty" link without realizing what they are doing. UI Design principles basically state that any action that cannot be reversed needs a confirmation dialog or an explicit option set somewhere to override. Users often "learn" how to use an interface by clicking and picking every button/link .. so any action that is irreversible and done without warning can cause major headaches both for the newbie user as well as the user-support team.

While the trash is just "trash" to you, to give another perspective on things, I often like to keep the trash for the past 2 weeks just in case something that I had marked for deletion is required again. If not, every so often I just delete all messages older than 10 days. I have hit the empty link on mistake a couple of times and gotten fairly ****** off (especially the one time when I accidentally hit the Delete Message link instead of the goto next message and then hit empty accidentally again meaning i could not even get to my message anymore).
SanjaySheth is offline   Reply With Quote