View Single Post
Old 11 May 2017, 08:01 AM   #12
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
I was assuming IMAP would be used leaving the mail stored somewhere up in the cloud, but I know that most people do not use a local email app, myself included. It isn't a perfect solution because you still have the danger of losing private information if your device is stolen or searched.
That's a valid point, but for most people it doesn't really matter. How many users actually log out of their cloud services in their browsers? Further, while my e-mails are sensitive, they're certainly far from the only sensitive data on my laptop, and in some cases not even the most sensitive.

Quote:
Also, it can take some time to resync a new device, and I find it usually creates a mess of some sort. I've ended up with everything duplicated, for example, which is a problem when you sync 10-years of email!
Well, I guess it depends on which client or service you're using, but I've got almost 20 years of mail in my IMAP mailbox, and I've been using IMAP clients almost exclusively for most of that time period. I've never had a problem setting up or syncing new devices over IMAP, at least not with standard-complaint e-mail services (don't get me started on what Gmail calls "IMAP" ).

Quote:
I guess I would rate the travelers' problems in this order approximately:
I'd agree with those priorities, except that all web doesn't inherently protect you from #3 unless you're very careful to stay logged out of any browser sessions, or just use incognito sessions all the time, preferably with 2FA as well. On the other hand, whole disk encryption is usually enough to protect you against privacy breaches resulting from simple theft — most thieves are after your hardware, not your data.

Of course, border searches are an entirely separate issue, but IMHO the only way to avoid that issue is to go through with as little data on your device as possible, and always use only incognito mode to prevent even browser caching.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote