View Single Post
Old 3 Jul 2017, 07:22 AM   #13
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
I am tempted to pay, but then there's different options when paying for a mailbox. There is Runbox, EUMX (although apparently we can get a free gift account as forum members?), there is Posteo, there's the option of getting an own domain at for example Namecheap or Gandi and get a webmail account with that ...
I do fear Fastmail's prices are not the most competitive ones, but on the other hand it has Always been such a great service...

My main issue with paying for email is that I already own numerous domain names that need to be renewed every year, as well as paying for a photo hosting package. I won't claim to be poor but I'm also far from wealthy. For domain names there is no free alternative, for proper photo hosting probably neither (unless Flickr will remain a reliable option despite the take-over by Verizon), for email there are free options such as Gmail, Outlook.com, considering giving Mail.be and Zoho a try too ...

I really like Fastmail though. It's just that of all services on the web one needs, email seems to be the one that has free alternatives. Unlike domains for example. I know you can get free subdomains (.co.tv , .co.nr , .eu.tf , .nl.nu , .eu.org , .de.vu , ... and numerous others) but those are rarely reliable. The only ones that have been around for a lot of years are .de.vu , the ones by Ulimit , .co.nr , .nl.nu and .eu.org (but .co.nr has had technical issues of serious nature lately, and the latter two seem to be unreachable which makes it not a reliable option). So I prefer to stick with paid domain names. And while those aren't too expensive, if you have numerous ones the annual fee does add up...
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote