View Single Post
Old 14 Apr 2018, 05:55 PM   #21
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Two things. ... A professional survey company will choose a sample that more closely represents the users of Fastmail or whatever subgroup they wish to know more about. ... In any case, it seems like a mountain made out of a mole hill. .
I'm interested in how you think a professional survey company can choose a sample... without having been told (by Fastmail) more about each of us than 'just' our login email addresses.

And, it's not a mountain out of a mole hill. Like others here, I treat my username email address as a secret value. I do not use it as an email address. Anyone who knows it has half the information they need to login to my account. Having that released to any company no matter who they are annoys me a great deal. And... it matters not a jot what a third party's privacy policy is - disgruntled employees selling on lists of working email addresses are not likely to pay any attention to a privacy policy.

However I did not previously realise that it's possible to change one's username. That does at least make damage limitation possible.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote