View Single Post
Old 18 Aug 2019, 06:05 AM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Restrictions to local-part of address to prevent fraud and confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
I'd still like to know why there appears to be restrictions on some local names you can choose as a prefix to go with any of those aliases, i.e., why some local-part names always result in "already been taken" when I cannot believe they are.
Of course, in many cases the alias is already taken by another user. Since any user with a current account type can add up to 600 aliases, anyone can choose a specific local-part alias at every Fastmail domain (such as “jane” at every domain). But I think you specifically mean a prefix to a local-part, such as “support” or “sign” or “fastmail” or “fastmailuk” added at the start of a local-part. For example, these are not allowed:
  • support@fastmail.com
  • support10024thisisrandom@sent.com
  • signuphere@mm.st
  • signupatalldomains@fastmail.com
  • fastmail@fastmail.uk
  • fastmailuk77y34900j@sent.com
I’m sure this is to help reduce confusion and fraud. Aliases can also be used for subdomain addresses and websites based on the subdomain. Fastmail doesn’t want any use to set up the email address “supportme@fastmail.com” or the website “www.support.fastmail.uk” or any variant starting with that prefix.

You can use you own personal domain(s) and add nearly any local-part you wish (subject to restrictions on email addresses and host names in the internet standards).

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote