View Single Post
Old 7 Sep 2017, 05:09 PM   #10
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by genegold99 View Post
My post is not about POP vs IMAP, although I find the claim that POP is hardly used is hard to believe. The post is about a bug or, if you prefer, quirk, where moving a draft to the Inbox, makes it show the same as an unread message, even after being opened; i.e., it's not giving up its draft status. I would imagine the status changing to read is an easy fix.
I think such situations where unconsidered user actions cause strange system behavior are always difficult to categorize. Usually, they tend to be treated as unsupported, with any consequent results being described as undefined, rather than bugs.

While you state that a discussion of POP vs IMAP is outside the scope of what you are asking, it is actually fundamental, for reasons briefly covered by Bill, and more comprehensively discussed in http://www.pop2imap.com/. That guide was written five years ago, but its point that 'POP should have been dead a long time ago' applies with even greater force today. Indeed, FastMail's beginnings over 15 years ago were motivated by a desire for robust support of the then inadequately implemented, but clearly superior, IMAP protocol.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote