View Single Post
Old 25 Nov 2015, 08:40 AM   #2
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
1) there used to be a few services without inactivity limits, announcing "an account for life". In my country for example, advalvas.be was one of those, in our neighbouring country the Netherlands there was ilse.nl . Within the year of opening an account there, the service ceased to exist.
Any provider that claims an account is "for life" should make the nuance, even if there is no inactivity limit, that this doesn't guarantee "for life" but "for as long as we keep our service running". No company can look into the future and see how long they'll be around. We don't even know how the internet itself will change within the next decade(s).

2) I am not sure whether there are some email services without expiry limits now, according to wikipedia's comparison of webmail providers there are. But Wikipedia is often incorrect.

3) If you have a paid email provider, your account will never expire even if you don't log in for years, as long as you keep paying your bills (and assuming the service doesn't cease to exist)

4) Some providers have quite long inactivity periods. For example Gmail has 9 months ; Outlook.com has 9 or 12 months (??) ; Safe-Mail has 6 months (unless this changed with the new relaunch) ; EUMX gift accounts have an inactivity limit of 12 months (which means signing in once within the year is OK to keep your account alive) ; Mail.be and ContactOffice.com have 7 months ...

If you open an email account, I assume you will use it now and then? And even if it is a backup email account rather than for daily communication, I guess signing in once every 6 or 9 months cannot be that hard?! I just named some of the few providers where one sign-in per year or per 9 months is sufficient to keep your account alive.

Even if your sole intention for the email account is to use it as a backup where you forward important emails to and store them there ; then indeed you don't need to open your account weekly or monthly or so, but once every half year cannot be such a burden?
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote