Thread: Polarismail
View Single Post
Old 26 May 2012, 03:51 PM   #1
mrsmashy

Polarismail

Hi everyone,
I've been lurking here on and off for a long time trying to make "that decision" on which email service to use. I appreciate all the time that has gone into the comments and reviews that I've read on the forums here.

Recently,I've been looking very closely at PolarisMail since the feedback is consistently good and it seems to fulfill what I expect from an email service.

Before I sign up, I do have a few questions that I'd like to put out to the community.

I will be accessing my email through the web client, a Linux MUA and my Android phone. I'd like to by able to sync my contacts (and calendar, though that is less important) between Polaris and my desktop and mobile phone. Does anyone have any suggestions about good means of doing this in terms of compatible clients? Will I need Polaris's Basic or Enhanced service?

My permanent email address (provided by my university) simply forwards my email to a third-party. Will I be able to send email from Polaris's webclient that appears to come from this email address? I'm not concerned so much about my other clients since I can use my university's SMTP server for sending.

This isn't about the mail service, but why does PolarisMail require my phone number for me to sign up? I can just provide a fake number, but it still bothers me. Similarly, the privacy policy has a worrying term:
Quote:
Please note that PolarisMail Incs website may contain links to other sites and occasionally allow other sites to be co-branded with PolarisMail Inc. PolarisMail Inc cannot represent or guarantee that other sites privacy policies conform to PolarisMail Incs, so please note that sites linked from PolarisMail Incs websites may have privacy policies which differ from those of PolarisMail Inc. PolarisMail Incs present Charter does not cover third party data Collection and PolarisMail Inc does not assume any responsibility for the actions of any third parties.
Am I being overly paranoid?

Thanks and I look forward to any feedback. MS
mrsmashy is offline   Reply With Quote