View Single Post
Old 30 Dec 2016, 02:55 AM   #28
Adam1

Bill, Dutchy and Rockman, thank you very much for your replies.

These are all great suggestions well worth serious contemplation. The most prudent option may be to use this Mailstore backup service of which you speak and then start anew with an email account on a different service. It'll be a shame to lose my simple email address I've had for nearly 15 years but that'll at least dial back the amount of spam I get, certainly in the short term. I'm currently on a paid Yahoo subscription so I don't grudge paying for a decent email service (as Oddpost was, for a nominal fee).

I share your point Rockman about too much historical email being stored online and at the mercy of hacker attacks like what has happened at Yahoo, and since mine goes back to 2002... perhaps I should remove all email over a certain age from online accounts and keep it solely local, I presume Mailstore will have a feature to do this. Just generally be more disciplined with it.

By the way, I have been registered with EMD since 2001 and was a "Master of the @" but I'm using a different account now. Of course back then the quest for the best email service was for the most part a three horse race between Fastmail, Runbox and Mailsnare - at least they had Edwin's seal of approval in the form of their own support Forum hosted here at EMD. I understand the latter fell by the wayside some time ago. I'm not sure what Runbox is like (I signed up for a trial account at the time and liked the interface) but I seem to recall a few years back someone on here saying it wasn't as good as it had been. As for Fastmail, I have a guest account that I use for signing up to websites that demand an email address that I don't wish to disclose my primary one. It's been spammed to within an inch of its life but in fairness that may have been through my own negligence. My parents use Fastmail on the one-off payment plan and are very satisfied with it.

Thanks again for you help guys.

Adam
Adam1 is offline   Reply With Quote