Thread: Awful songs
View Single Post
Old 11 Mar 2005, 07:46 AM   #59
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
It's also really annoying how modern new bands make attempts to cover great songs from the seventies and eighties, while only few of them actually make a good version of it. Most covers can be considered as "raping the original song"

Most annoying in this category are dance acts trying to make a pop or rock song from the seventies/eighties into a modern dance tune.
I can't think of a very good example right now, but once the black-out is over I'll post an example to explain exactly what I mean. Or just listen to the average dance acts' albums and you'll get me as well.

Though, few exemptions luckily.

I am a Marilyn Manson fan so not completely neutral on this one, but I think he did a very good job covering "Tainted love", it was different than the original one, and he turned it into a Manson song rather than trying to make an exact replica of the original.
Tori Amos did a wonderful cover of Depeche Mode's "Enjoy the silence" : just her fragile voice and the piano. Magnificent !
Belgian performer Jasper Steverlinck made a similar cover of David Bowie's "Life on Mars": just his voice and the piano. Surprisingly enough it became a smash hit in Belgium.

and there are some more exceptions of course. Unfortunately, the majority of covers don't even come close to the original, which makes the average fan wonder why they even allowed to make the cover... Britney Spears' attempt to cover "I love rock and roll" was a highlight of bad taste.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote