View Single Post
Old 10 Nov 2012, 07:51 AM   #11
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaso View Post
This existed in the old-new-interface ("Classic") but I never used it (when I wanted to keep a sent message without the attachments, I set the sent message to be saved in Inbox, deleted the attachments there, and then filed the message). Reason: the functionality for saving sent mail without the attachments doesn't work like the "delete attachment" feature: it leaves no record of the deleted attachment. When I keep a sent message for the record, I want the kept message to indicate what was the sent message's content. (same when keeping a received message. It doesn't need to have huge attachments, but it has to have some kind of record that describes the attachment that was there).

So when deleting attachments is brought to the new interface, I suggest that two things are fixed:
  1. Removing attachments from saved sent messages should work exactly as manually removing attachments in the view message screen, that is, leave a small attachment with the headers of the removed attachment.
  2. There is still one problem with the manual removal of an attachment in the "Classic" interface,: it doesn't work when the attachment is the only MIME part in the message (that is: not text part, only attachment). In this case it should either work the same (the only MIME part would be the stub that replaces the deleted attachment) or an extra MIME level created (that is, a multipart/mixed container, with only the stub withing it)
And also the new interface should not show deleted attachments as if they are still there (and allow access to the non-existent attachments). This bug was already reported.
Really, are we doing something differently?
When I delete an attachment from a sent message I get a notification when seeing the message:

Attachments

Documents:
----------------------------------
important.doc (Deleted) 808k)
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote