View Single Post
Old 12 Jan 2017, 07:49 PM   #91
PON
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhollington View Post
Ah, makes total sense, thanks. I use an IMAP client more than the web interface, and I rarely copy messages anyway, so it's something I ever needed to look for.

That said, however, it appears that the discard duplicate messages functionality that PON describes definitely isn't working for me then, since even when I copy messages through the web UI, I do end up with duplicates. From the description of the feature in the advanced folder settings that's kind of what I was expecting, since it uses the word "delivered," so I'm not sure what PON is seeing in his case.
No, duplicates are not suppressed on a copy and I didn't intend that happened now. The new UI has a link on the bottom of the folder page to a screen which will allow you to count, flag or delete duplicates. I've recently consolidated some old mail across several folders of members of a distribution list -- most email is copies, but not all, and I wanted to archive unique messages.

I have seen different results using the two different extensions for Thunderbird and Fastmail's own dedupe, as in different numbers of messages left after running dedupe both locally and on the server end. However, comparing these is not all that trivial.

My go-to tool is Beyond Compare from Scootersoftware.com. In principle it should be easy enough to compare two directories with eml files. I haven't got around to it just but will before I nuke a local Thunderbird folder showing a higher number of unique messages.

Bron mentioned an edge case regarding attachments. The other difference I could see by eye was that it looked (at a glance) a bit arbitrary which duplicate got zapped in the following scenario:

Same message sent to a distribution list
one person replies
duplicates are consolidated
one of the dupes has a reply symbol, showing the message was answered

It would be nice if, all other things being equal, the dupe with the replied info was kept. Not a deal breaker.
PON is offline   Reply With Quote