View Single Post
Old 22 Jul 2006, 07:59 AM   #4
anj
Master of the @

Thanks for the replies!

Yeah, not only are the number of rules limited (100?), but setting up filters is time consuming.

Without a filter, accumulated new mail is a disaster. They just sort it by when it was received. There is no ability to group messages by sender

I do use Gmail with filters for a few high volume Yahoogroups, which I read sporadically and very selectively. For this it was useful to have enough storage space to keep them all, so that I could search for specific info when needed. Gmail's search is very efficient -- much better than Outlook's or Yahoogroup's. This makes it worth it for me to use Gmail even though I do have the extra work of setting up individual fiters.

For lower volume lists, I don't really need the storage space or the search feature as much, so it is does not seem worth it to set up filters for grouping that other interfaces can do automatically.

There are alternatives which require no such effort. Currently, I use Fastmail's automatic folder redirection for this (newsletter1@fastmail goes to folder newsletter1). Before Fastmail, I used Outlook, set up to group by sender and therein sort by conversation. Gmail requires extra work on my part, so I don't use it to read things which want grouped by sender.
anj is offline   Reply With Quote