View Single Post
Old 18 Jun 2020, 06:24 PM   #4
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

So far, you've talked about "all my email account", Yahoo, simply.com and not explained what services you actually have at each place.

You talk about "addons" getting infected.

Although I see (from Google) that simply.com is a /web/ host rather than an email hosting company (though maybe they also host mail rather than just forward it elsewhere?) I suppose that means that you had a wordpress(?) website hosted with them?

But I'm guessing, and I should not have to. You should explain precisely what you do at the moment, and what you want to know.

As for free services - I have no idea. I believe that generally you get what you pay for. If you use a free service there's little chance that the supplier will look into any problems you have. They may care from their point of view about their system being hacked, or they might not care at all. With a decent-quality paid-for service one generally gets technical support who /do/ care and will investigate problems.

I use Fastmail (and another company in the UK who're mainly an ISP but do host mail too). In both cases I picked them after looking in detail at reviews online, noting other people's email addresses (ie realising they were using FM), and looking eg at the Q&A in the forums here. For the UK company ... they were one with an active usenet support group and their tech staff posted there and discussed technical issues - and it was clear that they understood the tech, and were not just sales people. They also (like FM) are politically active (resisting governmental attempts to snoop on email contents) and interested in internet standards (eg by contributing to RFCs). In other words I looked for people doing email as well as they could, not necessarily those with trendy marketing.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote