View Single Post
Old 1 Feb 2017, 05:15 AM   #22
tony17112acst

The Comcast Security Assurance Tier 2 support supervisor never called me back (or course) but I called and got the original guy that told me that Comcast is indeed not passing email traffic to Freehostia because Freehostia does not have a DMARC (or SPF/DKIM) record/policy.

When I started to explain that it wouldn't make sense that emails wouldn't be passed off because the receiver doesn't have a good spam filter (DMARC/SPF/DKIM). He didn't know why I just didn't just accept what he told me (and suggested I should stop calling them), and I told him I had 2-3 people on email forums who were experts at this advising me that this explanation didn't make sense (that Comcast refuses to send email traffic to someone who isn't filtering well enough) ...because the filtering is on the receiving end (not Comcast's sending end).

So he said "how do you know if they're more of an expert that me?" I said "I don't know, but it HAS to make sense to me and the other guys make more sense right now."

Lastly he offered the following proof that it's Freehostia's lack of a DMARC record (his words -->) When hosted with Freehostia, I didn't get the emails because there's no DMARC record and when I switched my email over to Godaddy hosting (temporarily), I now get them successfully because Godaddy is a major player and they have a DMARK policy.

BUT after we hung up I did a check on that with a DMARK lookup tool and Godaddy DOES NOT have a DMARC record for my domain despite receiving the emails normally!! (or an SPF)

Here's what I did: I told him I'd set up DMARK and if I start getting emails, I'll apologize and let him know that was the problem. So I successfully set up a DMARC record and an SPF record to boot. Guess if that got me receiving emails from Comcast? Nope.

Last edited by tony17112acst : 2 Feb 2017 at 09:40 AM.
tony17112acst is offline   Reply With Quote