View Single Post
Old 30 Jun 2014, 04:03 AM   #8
emailer84

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
The earlier suggestion of using a wildcard on the Aliases screen won't work. The Aliases screen is used for controlling which aliases are active for your account and how mail is delivered to those aliases. You are instead asking about the Compose screen for creating a new message, and that requires setup in the Personalities screen and the When replying setup screen. The current interface has full support for automatic reply address generation, so you don't have to manually create the From address when replying!

You can do this with the current user interface with wildcard personalities:
  • Create a personality in Advanced>Personalities with an address of *@user.fastmail.fm
  • See Fastmail Personalities help (second bullet point)
  • On the Settings>Preferences>Writing>When replying screen select Reply from the same account the message was sent to
  • You will then be able to choose the wildcard personality at the top of the Compose screen, which allows you to edit the From email address as you wish. But you probably won't need to enter a custom address very often, since after these changes the From address when you reply will automatically be set to the proper subdomain address used by the sender!
Bill
Bill, Thanks a lot! That is super useful! No need for the classic interface.
This isn't the same feature as email reflecting, which FM stopped supporting, is it?

Only two niggles I have:

- Unfortunately, this doesn't work when replying from an IMAP client (Apple Mail in my case).
- When composing, the default email that's displayed in the from field is "myfmloginusername@fastmail.fm", I'd much rather have something else displayed rather than my fm login name as I only use it for log in. Is there any way to have it display another username by default such as "defaultusername@fastmail.fm", where I can change "defaultusername" or even [blank]@fastmail.fm, which would remind me that I need to enter something before the "@"?

Thanks again
emailer84 is offline   Reply With Quote