View Single Post
Old 7 Feb 2023, 03:12 AM   #25
ioneja
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Yep. The Proton Main app gets only 3.6 stars in the Play Store while Skiff Mail is at 4.1 stars. With any service even if you aren't going to use the dedicated apps I think it is always worthwhile to check out the reviews for them to see what the ratings are, and what the comments tell you.
Doesn't surprise me. Proton is known for being really slow with their development, with an insanely long beta period. So I assume several of the negative reviews are people complaining at some longstanding issue and feature request that has been in limbo forever. Which would be true.

Skiff on the other hand has a very aggressive release schedule, and the progress is obvious to anyone who has been using them since the beginning. It's crazy fast. They must be burning money on devs right now. I've never seen something in the privacy arena move this fast. Unfortunately, the effect of this is that they release half-baked features sometimes. Their calendar app was very buggy (for me) when it launched, but it's much better now.

I get a sense (but with no evidence) that Skiff is using much more of the brutally fast "agile" iterative software development model... with tiny little updates all the time, completing work in what is often referred to as "sprints." I think their sprint cycle is very short at Skiff.

Proton is probably running an agile process too, but much more conservative and with longer cycles and a very conservative beta process.

I don't know which is better. But it kind of fits the founders... Skiff funded by big US venture money with Silicon Valley kind of energy, Proton founded by scientists from CERN, different kinds of people running the show.

But hopefully good times for the privacy community in terms of more options, the better!
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote