View Single Post
Old 2 Dec 2017, 02:53 PM   #12
beeboy
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFK View Post
Technically, Yandex is very good email service. Practically, you do not want to use email provider which is under jurisdiction of authoritarian (and, in many aspects, totalitarian) state as Russian Federation. You do not know how your emails will be affected and how they will be used by this state. I do not want to discuss it here, but it may be really dangerous even if you do nothing that violates your country's law or Russian law.

In addition, considering current relations between Putin's regime and the West, you have a chance to see your mailbox lost/deleted/blocked etc as result of political developments and economic sanctions imposed on Russia.

Another point: Russian authoritarian state wants to control everything. At some point they may require you to upload your national ID card or passport or your email account will be limited/blocked. Do you really want it?

I know what I am talking about, I have some friends in Russia, I understand the logic of Russian authorities (as former citizen of former USSR) and I really do not recommend to use any of Russian services (not only email).

This post applies also to mail.ru: great email service but, unfortunately, should not be used for political reasons.
Good post. Made me think about facebook and their bs. You would think it was based in Russia. Doesn't seem to deter the masses from using it.
beeboy is offline   Reply With Quote