View Single Post
Old 9 Nov 2018, 06:58 AM   #19
TenFour
Master of the @

Lots of different ways of handling having a new email address. I have done it numerous times and have found for me it is best to keep the old email address working for as long as possible--maybe forever--and just forward any emails from it to the new email address. Then it may be worthwhile to have a message in your signature at the new address saying something like, "Please note my new email address." However, maybe 10% of your correspondents will read that and actually do something about it, which is why I prefer to keep the old address forwarding. I still get important emails from addresses I haven't used regularly in 5-10 years. Things like job offers, or important financial information. I try to change all my major credit cards, banks, etc. to my new address, which can usually be done manually on their websites. However, even some of them will still send important emails to old addresses for years to come, with no apparent way to remove an old address that isn't even shown on your online profile. Go figure! Gradually, over the course of a few years you will find that 90-95% of your emails start coming in to the correct, new address. As to moving emails, it depends. You might want to just keep your old Gmail account to store up to 15GB of old email, and it can serve as a great way to archive and find old email with Google's unrivaled searched functionality. I can within seconds find emails from more than a decade ago. You can also send and receive email using your own domain for free from within an ordinary Gmail account.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote