View Single Post
Old 11 Mar 2020, 12:31 AM   #25
earlybird

Just today I noticed the font change, too.

I have the issue that while the new font looks maybe fine, the rendering in my browser of webfonts in general is slightly blurry and not very good (Firefox 74 on a rolling Linux distribution). It's why I was using the "System font" fallback as long as it was possible.

I'm tired of type foundries throwing their web fonts at sites for a lot of money while the rendering of those fonts is not very good. For example, I have bought a lot of expensive, high-quality type faces and have them installed on my computer for on-screen & print use, and they render perfectly and sharply, while the corresponding web font is always atrocious. I had this issue with Source Sans Pro (installed version vs webfont from Fastmail), Proxima Nova, Open Sans etc pp.

It's annoying to have to do this but Fastmail has actually a very well designed web app. You can override the complete website font without breaking icons etc by just applying a user style (with e.g. the Stylus Firefox extension) that contains:

html {
font-family: sans-serif;
}

to use your browser default or really any other locally installed font. No !important or other overrides necessary. The resulting look consistent across the email/calendar/contact/files/preferences views.

Another way would be to block loading of web fonts for Fastmail altogether. Looking at the source code, they'll fall back to some Apple stuff, Segoe UI, Arial, and then sans-serif.

Last edited by earlybird : 11 Mar 2020 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Use Stylus as the Firefox addon, NOT STYLISH. Stylish was bought up by an adware company and is now spyware. Don't use it.
earlybird is offline   Reply With Quote