View Single Post
Old 30 May 2012, 02:28 AM   #184
ioneja
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by kijinbear View Post
Call me a pessimist, but I don't think plain old e-mail is "cool" enough to attract the attention of Kickstarter investors. Every Kickstarter page I've seen tries desperately to highlight how the product in question is radically different from everything else out there. If somebody claimed to be able to replace e-mail altogether with some newfangled proprietary protocol, they might get funding. But that kind of radical change is the last thing most FM users want. Conservatism of that sort, no matter how valuable, doesn't play nicely with Kickstarter's culture.
Well said, BUT consider that maybe there are enough supporters of FM out there that would like it to remain in its original owners' hands? Add to that enough people who despise FB.... and maybe being "retro" will be cool enough to get Kickstarter funding? Who knows? If it comes down to it, might be worth a try.

As much as I've been vocally frustrated about FM for their various issues, I sure as heck wouldn't want to see it absorbed (and/or discarded) by the FB beast.
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote