View Single Post
Old 1 Sep 2019, 02:04 AM   #129
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by evfrson View Post
Agree entirely with your point of playing the same songs over and over and over to the exclusion of their less well known ones.

I used to be a session drummer and have toured a few times with the Manics and a lot of other (mainly British) bands and I used to try to get them to play their lesser known songs but to no avail. The bands always used to say the fans want to hear the biggies and sort of implied it wasn't my place to dictate the playlist
You toured with the Manics? Lucky one! Which other bands did you tour with?
When it comes to British bands, I'm a big fan of Suede, Echo & The Bunnymen, and Placebo too. And The Smiths, but those are sadly enough done forever probably (unless Morrissey suddenly wants to forget his conflict with Mike Joyce, but can't see that happen... ever )

As for setlists, it's similar with most bands, they play their big hits. Especially at festivals, where they can win some extra fans who weren't familiar with their work before.

I've seen Echo & The Bunnymen live plenty of times, and my one critic --as good as their concerts are each time-- is that the setlist gets a bit predictable. They sometimes rotate a bit between their songs from the first 5 albums, but they almost never play any song of the "What are you going to do with your life?", "Flowers", "Siberia" and "Fountain" albums. As if their post-reunion material doesn't exist. I understand their success was biggest during the 80s and they scored their biggest successes then, but their more recent albums contain some really good songs that may never be played live again.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote