View Single Post
Old 18 Aug 2008, 09:32 AM   #11
King Of Email
Cornerstone of the Community

Lightbulb Gmx

The GMX login interface is slower than it needs to be, I suppose because the connection to the inbox isn't direct but via a secondary pop-up screen. Yet this isn't really a problem, just a minor delay at least for the .com extension on a high speed connection. However, for slower connections this could be a problem. Since most web based email login gates resolve in new url page views instead of pop-ups, I'm not sure why GMX retains this feature which was much more common for integrated email/desktop web suite applications years ago.

The one advantage GMX has over Gmail for me is that the extension is not only very short but allows users a much wider range of user name choices. Whereas Gmail requires a minimum of six characters, GMX requires only three thus providing many more common user names the ability to be registered. Google has yet to change its inflexible policies on this matter. However, as others have said, GMX which employs the Ajax utility, makes inbox page views slower and in my opinion less intuitive than older, albeit simpler, more instantaneous resolutions. For all its putative advantages such as previewing and font kerning and smoothing, Ajax isn't worth the extra time it requires for it to do its thing. I'd rather have the old HTML protocols kick in. After all, while they may be older technology, they are still faster and more stable. This is why although flash-based email applications such as Gowebtop look great, you have to be prepared to wait at every step to read, compose, and move/delete email.

Gmail wisely avoids this interface, but still lags behind in user support, feedback, and user requested innovations. For example, I have forever and ever requested that Google allow users to skin/theme their inboxes or at least be able to select inbox background colors other than plain, blinding white. This is allowed for iGoogle, why not Gmail? So far ever since the launch of Gmail, I have received no reply on this or any other suggestion. Even Google's original feedback email address for ideas and suggestions for improvement to Gmail (suggestions@google.com) no longer exists. While Gmail is the still the big dog on the block of free email, it should respond to requests and complaints if it wants to be the future industry leader in cloud computing as it currently is in internet search utilities.

I am always grateful for free web based mail applications, but wish they would not only evolve but respond to user's needs and desires. If Gmail wants to retain its current role, it needs to recognize that and GMX and others will show them the way either as close competitors or eventually the new market leaders.
King Of Email is offline   Reply With Quote