Thread: Masked Email
View Single Post
Old 19 Oct 2021, 12:33 PM   #29
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHenderson View Post
...but I see this can be useful to those that don't have their own domain to do this with.
I don't have my own domain (I've always used a forwarding service) so I guess that's why I favor the subdomain method. Plus I like being able to use FM's fuzzy folder matching for auto-filtering into corresponding folders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamsux View Post
I think maybe the advantage of the masked email is the ability to just delete it if the spam starts coming in. With the subdomain (spammer@me.fastmail.com, for example) you would create a filter for that particular email to just delete anything to that particular email.
I already provided the code for that in my Sieve script. For me all it takes is to simply add the email address to a string :matches ["list"]. Actually I have 3 lists depending on how I want to handle deletions: reject only, save only in a folder just in case I'm curious who is still using the address, and a save+reject. Seemed like a good idea at the time I was coding them but so far I have nothing in these lists so maybe all these choices may turn out to be overkill!

Quote:
I guess each option has its pros and cons.
Apparently!
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote