View Single Post
Old 22 Mar 2006, 02:30 PM   #7
kander
The "e" in e-mail

I've had the same issue you're experiencing, Starion. Here are some things that helped in my case (forgive the pun):

1. Better PSU fan. I upgraded the entire PSU as you're planning to do simply because the adding of more fans might have been a bit too much on my 250W. I've opted for a double-fan powe supply, one fan to suck in air from the computer and another to blow it out at the back. This seems to work very well.

2. An additional fan at the front. Behind my harddrive rack was space for a large fan. This one sucks in cool air, which works well combined with the stronger PSU fan. It creates a nice airflow of cool air from the bottom to the top where it is blown out.

3. HD-coolers. Special fan casements that allow you to place a thin fan on the harddrive. I've got these hooked to a fan controller at the front of my rig, as these two tend to be quite noisy (lots of airflow through a rather confined space). This definitely helped a lot, but the trade-off is with the noise. Basically these run at ultra-low speeds normally, and only during the summer do I increase them slightly to compensate for higher ambient temperatures. Normally these come with 4-pin connectors that go between your HD and the PSU-connector, requiring convertors for hooking them up to the controller.

Results: A drop from 53 C to 32 C.
kander is offline   Reply With Quote