View Single Post
Old 20 May 2022, 02:11 AM   #1
TenFour
Master of the @

Unique username instead of domain name

An idea that I have found works for me and might help some people. Over the years I have tried out a bunch of various free email services and I have managed to sign up for several of them using a unique, distinctive username. In other words, my email address might look something like this: UniqueUsername@generic.com. I think it is almost as good as having your own domain for email, and maybe even better for some people. For example, I have a bunch of domains with no associated website, so the domain part being unique isn't really any great advantage to me other than being able to use short, memorable usernames. The problem I find is that no matter how short and easy to spell my own domains are people type it in wrong all the time, plus I have to purchase and manage domain email someplace. However, I also have my unique username at major and minor free providers, including Gmail and Outlook.com. Since we English speakers read from left to right that is the first thing someone sees when looking at the email address, and to me it looks and sounds pretty distinctive. If for some reason one free email poops out or changes terms I can easily switch to another provider, while still keeping my distinctive username. Thoughts?
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote