View Single Post
Old 27 Sep 2020, 06:16 AM   #44
ioneja
Cornerstone of the Community

I just saw this on Fastmail's website -- https://fastmail.blog/2020/07/24/email-workflow/

So about one month after HEY.COM officially launched, Fastmail posted about "rethinking" email with "workflow" as the central idea of their post, and "how to find more focus, spare your inbox from non-essential emails, decide who can email you, quiet your notifications..." They even mention some of the key bullet points from HEY like proxy tracking pixels, etc... almost as if this page is a response covering many of the marketing points of HEY.COM, but written in such a way that showcases what Fastmail has already been able to do. Interesting.

All the tips they recommend in the blog post are useful or worth considering, of course, but it reminds me that in the Venn diagram of target markets, there are a bunch of potential customers that overlap between Fastmail and HEY.COM, and it appears that Fastmail is quite conscious of this. I wouldn't be surprised if they continue to develop some more "workflowy" features like their relatively recent labels, VIP notifications, snoozing, etc., and they tweak their main marketing copy on their website to reflect a more workflow-centric approach, given the trends like with HEY, OnMail, Superhuman, etc.

Makes me wonder if there is also a market rivalry developing between Fastmail and HEY.

I also think this will be really good for Fastmail users going forward, and keep pressure on HEY to give users more granular control and flexibility. HEY is clearly aware of Fastmail, judging by the interviews and social media responses of HEY. It will be fun to see where they both go next.
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote