EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 6 May 2005, 11:45 PM   #1
Chipper
Master of the @

Question Format Codes When Pressing Reply

Occasionally, I hit reply on a message and it comes up with formatting codes, etc. To fix, I hit cancel and try again and it always has worked. This time, I made several tries, but to no avail. Has anyone else experienced this and how have you solved it? Here's what it looks like after hitting reply (except for name & e-mail addr which have been disguised):

<p>&nbsp;</p><pre>
On Thu, 5 May 2005 15:55:18 -0700 (PDT), &quot;John Doe&quot; &lt;xxxxx@yahoo.com&gt; said:
</pre><blockquote class="QuoteMessage" type="cite">
<DIV>Hi, This Saturday ist gut!&nbsp; what time shall we meat, und wo?</DIV>
<DIV>Karl</DIV><p>
<hr size=1>Discover Yahoo!<br>
Find restaurants, movies, travel & more fun for the weekend. <a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=32658/*http://discover.yahoo.com/weekend.html">Check it out!</a>
</blockquote>
>
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7 May 2005, 12:10 PM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

The codes you show here are HTML formatting codes. When I hit "reply" to a HTML email, I see the HTML codes flash for an instant (much less than one second), then the correctly formatted reply appears.

What browser (and version) are you using? Are you using a very slow or erratic connection to Fastmail?

I can take the HTML code you posted and show it as a normal formatted HTML email body using the Raw to normal HTML conversion feature of the Compose screen. Please try the following and see if it works:[list=1][*]Enter the "Compose" menu.[*]Look at the upper right quadrant of the Compose screen. A bit below the "Save Draft" button look for a link which says either "Advanced Screen" or "Basic Screen". If you see the link "Advanced Screen", then click it with your mouse. When you are properly in the Advanced screen, you will see pull-down boxes labelled "Save Copy" and "Signature" below the "Subject" field.[*]Change the Compose screen display mode to "Raw HTML" using the drop-down box below the "Save Draft" button in the upper right quadrant of the Advanced screen.[*]You will now see some default HTML code in the message body area on the Compose screen. Delete all of this, and replace it with a pasted copy of the code in your earlier post (starting with <p>, and ending with the end of your post). I use Ctrl-C to copy selected text and Ctrl-V to paste.[*]Now change the display mode to "HTML" (pull-down menu below the "Save Draft" button). You should see a nicely formatted message body, starting with "On Thu" and ending with "Check it out!" underlined. The original message text should be indented after a vertical blue line at the left margin.[/list=1]I have tried the above cut-and-paste test with both Mozilla Firefox v1.0.2 and Microsoft Internet Explorer v6.0....., and they both reformat this code properly. If you have more than one browser please try this test in each one.
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2005, 07:08 PM   #3
Daniel S

Have you tried /beta too?
Old 8 May 2005, 01:08 AM   #4
Chipper
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by n5bb
The codes you show here are HTML formatting codes. When I hit "reply" to a HTML email, I see the HTML codes flash for an instant (much less than one second), then the correctly formatted reply appears.

What browser (and version) are you using? Are you using a very slow or erratic connection to Fastmail?
IIRC, the day this happened, our DSL was running slowly. (I think somebody was downloading something that was dogging the system.) I never paid attention to notice that the HTML codes flash for an instant as you have mentioned (will look for that in the future). I'm using M$ IE as the browser. Not sure which version -- Googled to see if there was something to tell me how to find this out, but was not sucessful. (I'm sort of a paradox when it comes to computers -- I'm programmer who can get into the bits & bytes but I can't figure out what version I'm on.)

Quote:
Originally posted by n5bb
I can take the HTML code you posted and show it as a normal formatted HTML email body using the Raw to normal HTML conversion feature of the Compose screen. Please try the following and see if it works:[list=1][*]Enter the "Compose" menu.[*]Look at the upper right quadrant of the Compose screen. A bit below the "Save Draft" button look for a link which says either "Advanced Screen" or "Basic Screen". If you see the link "Advanced Screen", then click it with your mouse. When you are properly in the Advanced screen, you will see pull-down boxes labelled "Save Copy" and "Signature" below the "Subject" field.[*]Change the Compose screen display mode to "Raw HTML" using the drop-down box below the "Save Draft" button in the upper right quadrant of the Advanced screen.[*]You will now see some default HTML code in the message body area on the Compose screen. Delete all of this, and replace it with a pasted copy of the code in your earlier post (starting with <p>, and ending with the end of your post). I use Ctrl-C to copy selected text and Ctrl-V to paste.[*]Now change the display mode to "HTML" (pull-down menu below the "Save Draft" button). You should see a nicely formatted message body, starting with "On Thu" and ending with "Check it out!" underlined. The original message text should be indented after a vertical blue line at the left margin.[/list=1]I have tried the above cut-and-paste test with both Mozilla Firefox v1.0.2 and Microsoft Internet Explorer v6.0....., and they both reformat this code properly. If you have more than one browser please try this test in each one.
Thanks for the tip -- I did go to raw version as a workaround and tried going back, but muddied the waters even more. This method will work.
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote