EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 27 Mar 2016, 11:00 PM   #1
LaraKlopp

Question Some email transfer questions

Hi, I'm hoping to get expert advice. I'm in charge of changing over the email at my small company, and email is very important to many of the salespeople. I'm trying to find an inexpensive solution that is extremely reliable.

I have two basic questions. First, with the people who have synced their email to Windows Live Mail (we don't have Outlook), when we stop using GoDaddy, and redirect the incoming and outgoing mail addresses to the new email host, will all of the emails saved to their computers be deleted (since they will no longer be on the host they're connected to - they're synced via IMAP for the most part)? I've only ever used webmail, so my knowledge of using a client on a computer is pretty minimal.

Second, I'm considering Rackspace (which is a little pricey but I think doable for us) or Zoho for our mail. We have, actually, 4 domain names, each of which has about 10 email users ... could we get 4 free accounts, with Zoho, one for each domain, just for email (we don't need the other services)? Do people recommend Zoho?

With Rackspace, we'd all be under one account, with the different domain names, but it'd be more expensive. Do people recommend Rackspace?

I'd really appreciate any help. I have web design experience, but email is all pretty new to me, and the responsibility for so many people's emails is daunting.

Thanks! Lara
LaraKlopp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28 Mar 2016, 03:01 AM   #2
unlocktheinbox

You can take a look at smartertools.com, they have a product called smartermail that runs on windows. They offer a free version for 1 domain, but you can upgrade to a paid solution with them.

It will give you complete control of your email. It has all the syncing I think you're looking for.
unlocktheinbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2016, 03:32 AM   #3
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaraKlopp View Post
Hi, I'm hoping to get expert advice. I'm in charge of changing over the email at my small company, and email is very important to many of the salespeople. I'm trying to find an inexpensive solution that is extremely reliable.
Welcome tot the forum Lara. The most of which we speak here is FastMail. I recommend their business package.

Quote:
I have two basic questions. First, with the people who have synced their email to Windows Live Mail (we don't have Outlook), when we stop using GoDaddy, and redirect the incoming and outgoing mail addresses to the new email host, will all of the emails saved to their computers be deleted (since they will no longer be on the host they're connected to - they're synced via IMAP for the most part)? I've only ever used webmail, so my knowledge of using a client on a computer is pretty minimal.
With a migrate tool from e.g. FastMail or MailStore you can migrate your email to the new provider.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2016, 03:41 AM   #4
LaraKlopp

Thank you, but that seems expensive for the amount of storage etc you get. Rackspace seems to have a better deal, with $2/user/month, and 25 GB storage per user. And Zoho mail has free accounts with 5 GB per user (up to 25 free per business).

People seem to like Polaris on this forum, though I'm concerned that 1) the user interface is questioned, and my people need an easy interface; and 2) the company is so small, might it go away and leave us stranded email-wise?

So I think we need to pick a bigger company, and Rackspace seems to have a good price for what they offer, and have pretty good reviews for the most part. (Our needs are simple, mostly just reliable, inexpensive email).

I know we can have the email migrated over, but in case that is a problem (we have a ton already), I'm wondering if, when we disconnect our windows live mail from GoDaddy, the emails saved on the hard drives will be synced (deleted) or just remain there? We won't be deleting them from GoDaddy, as much as the GoDaddy login will no longer work as the paths to the mail server will change. Does anyone know what will happen to our Windows Live Mail inbox / folders?
LaraKlopp is offline   Reply With Quote