EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 19 Nov 2016, 08:12 PM   #61
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

As far as Yandex goes you do NOT need to have a mobile phone to create an account nor to be able to operate the account!!!
For mail.ru goes the same. And I am sure there are more (free) email providers out there that do NOT ask for a mobile phone number. And if you still want to use such service but NOT want to give your real cellphone number there are plenty of free apps arround which give you US or Canadian numbers...to which they can send the confirmation sms. If you look good you might also find some European virtual cellphone numbers...

I agree fully that the security measures with a gmail account are getting more and more troublesome if you travel a lot or if you use a VPN service..!

Dutchie.

Last edited by Dutchie007 : 19 Nov 2016 at 08:41 PM.
Dutchie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2016, 06:29 AM   #62
Csin

Too much hassle for me. Don't have a pocketphone, don't want one, and if I did get a 'burner', I sure wouldn't be giving the number out to live.com, yahoo, etc. I took the easy way, and replaced yandex with 'mail-online.email' account. Its trouble free so far. And yes, Yandex did require a phone number...I filled out their form three times before I realized it wasn't working not because I couldn't guess the captcha, but because I refused to give a phone number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie007 View Post
As far as Yandex goes you do NOT need to have a mobile phone to create an account nor to be able to operate the account!!!
For mail.ru goes the same. And I am sure there are more (free) email providers out there that do NOT ask for a mobile phone number. And if you still want to use such service but NOT want to give your real cellphone number there are plenty of free apps arround which give you US or Canadian numbers...to which they can send the confirmation sms. If you look good you might also find some European virtual cellphone numbers...

I agree fully that the security measures with a gmail account are getting more and more troublesome if you travel a lot or if you use a VPN service..!

Dutchie.
Csin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2016, 06:49 AM   #63
communicant
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csin View Post
Too much hassle for me. Don't have a pocketphone, don't want one, and if I did get a 'burner', I sure wouldn't be giving the number out to live.com, yahoo, etc. I took the easy way, and replaced yandex with 'mail-online.email' account. Its trouble free so far.
It may be 'trouble free' but it soon won't be financially free! Is your account at mail-online.email (also .dk and .se) less than three months old? Accounts at those domains are only free for the first three months, then you must upgrade to a paid account or your account will be deleted. This is not stated in any of the obvious places you will read before creating the account, but when you create it you are prompted to read a link to the TOS by an ambiguous and elliptical hint that there is information there 'that could affect your account' (or words to that effect), and when you read the fine print you find out about the forced upgrade. It seems to me like an attempt to camouflage the facts, or at least to keep potential users from finding out the truth for as long as possible.
communicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2016, 08:11 PM   #64
randian

Looks like the trial period for mail-online.dk just expired. I created an account there and it's now demanding I "activate" my email account. Prices are pretty outrageous too, US$48/6 months for 100MB storage, almost twice as expensive as a Fastmail Standard or Runbox Medium account and more expensive than a Fastmail Professional or Runbox Max account. I chose to manually delete the account. The "free webmail for everyone" line is definitely misleading. Too bad too, as I've been looking for a .dk domain account and this was the only one that didn't require a Denmark country code cell phone number for verification.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2016, 08:08 AM   #65
beeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
If one is constantly on the road, travelling (maybe for a couple of months a year) logging in to an account daily (from wherever) - would you recommend to not use a GMail account.

Or am I misunderstanding......
Sorry. Missed this earlier.

I wouldn't stop using gmail but I would use 2FA to maintain access to the account. I don't think they care where you are if you can verify via 2FA. Google Authenticator might be a better option for those not wanting to supply a phone number and its supposed to be more secure than SMS.
beeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2016, 10:30 AM   #66
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeboy View Post
Sorry. Missed this earlier.

I wouldn't stop using gmail but I would use 2FA to maintain access to the account. I don't think they care where you are if you can verify via 2FA. Google Authenticator might be a better option for those not wanting to supply a phone number and its supposed to be more secure than SMS.
Thanks beeboy: I seem to use GMail exclusively, these days. Regardless of anything else, I really do enjoy using my Chromebook.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2016, 07:59 AM   #67
beeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Thanks beeboy: I seem to use GMail exclusively, these days. Regardless of anything else, I really do enjoy using my Chromebook.
You are welcome.

Chromebooks are cool. ChromeOS has a little ways to go but all in all I was impressed with it for everyday tasks. I wiped mine for linux mostly because chromeos does not play nice with openvpn.
Old 10 May 2017, 07:47 PM   #68
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Found another intresting free email service yesterday. at mail.kz

It is in kazakstan. It is kind of a portal site with news and economical issues. Very intresting. The web email is from Zimbra and can be put in many languages. The portal itself only in Kazakh or in Russian. But if you use yandex browser it translate very good into English.

I still didnt test out the email service but it looks good to me. Quick header testing shows that servers are indeed in Kazakstan.

If you like Central Asia there is anorther free email service in Takjisistan at mail.tj

didnt try that one.

Dutchie.
Old 11 May 2017, 07:12 AM   #69
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
I have been locked out when traveling even though I used 2FA. The problem for me at the time was I was using SMS and couldn't receive phone service on that phone number outside of my home country, so I was locked out. The Google Authenticator might have worked, but if you lose that phone or it isn't working for some reason again you can be locked out. The option at that point is to use one of the codes you are supposed to download, which you are unlikely to have with you when traveling! You also might not be able to access the recovery email addresses for one reason or another. Keep all that stuff up to date, and think about how you can access it when outside your home territory.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 01:47 PM   #70
rmannam

Found another email service Teknik.
rmannam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 10:05 PM   #71
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
I have been locked out when traveling even though I used 2FA. The problem for me at the time was I was using SMS and couldn't receive phone service on that phone number outside of my home country, so I was locked out. The Google Authenticator might have worked, but if you lose that phone or it isn't working for some reason again you can be locked out. The option at that point is to use one of the codes you are supposed to download, which you are unlikely to have with you when traveling! You also might not be able to access the recovery email addresses for one reason or another. Keep all that stuff up to date, and think about how you can access it when outside your home territory.
Indeed it is getting more and more a real trouble to log in your own email (Gmail is notorious for this!) if you are NOT at home. If you are abroad fe or just want to use a VPN it is getting a real pain in the neck to log in. True. Several years ago Gmail also locked me out from my own email account. Luckely I could get in after 8 days...NOT funny tell you that:-( And I was lucky. There are many people how are NOT being able to lock in anymore and loose their account forever!!

When behind a VPN I get even warning emails (on a second account) when I try to log in via Thunderbird...!! I have no other option then to put off my VPN and log in with my usual IP address. Outlook seems to be the same crap on this point.

With Yandex (or Mail.ru) fe I do NOT have that problem and I can log in webmail (or via an emailclient). Just saying...

Dutchie.
Old 12 May 2017, 08:04 AM   #72
beeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmannam View Post
Found another email service Teknik.
Good find! Interesting service.

' Lifetime ' account for $5. I can see a lot of people signing up for the price of a latte even if 'Lifetime' turns out to be limited(re: fastmail).

Scores an A at ssl labs.
Old 13 May 2017, 04:37 PM   #73
evilquoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
ice.is? Wouldn't want to use that one as it sounds too much like ISIS! xD
"Isis" meant a lot of things before a certain organisation were called that.

Respectfully yours,
(Mrs.) Ira Bomber.
evilquoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 04:45 PM   #74
evilquoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by communicant View Post
email.is [...] is likely to cost at least thirty euros a year, an outrageous price.
By my calculation €30 is about £24; I agree, you can get a solid, professional email service for less than that.
evilquoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 09:45 PM   #75
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilquoll View Post
By my calculation €30 is about £24; I agree, you can get a solid, professional email service for less than that.
besides that....this also does NOT look very professional imho:

Welcome to email.is

If you like to get email address on this server

Please email me with request and I give you special offer.

LOL

Dutchie.