EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 14 Mar 2017, 06:50 AM   #16
Csin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelDeal View Post
I was wrong: Kolab Now would be approximately $200 per year for 15 GB. Yikes--Runbox seems positively cheap in comparison!
The two main 'over the counter' providers are protonmail.com (I think you need an invite to get that), and tutanota.com. I'm using posteo.net as replacement for bluebottle, but not sure just how private and secure it is. If you want the real deal, you need to explore the 'DarkNet' using T.A.I.L.S., and look for email providers there.
Csin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2017, 10:15 AM   #17
WheelDeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csin View Post
The two main 'over the counter' providers are protonmail.com (I think you need an invite to get that), and tutanota.com. I'm using posteo.net as replacement for bluebottle, but not sure just how private and secure it is. If you want the real deal, you need to explore the 'DarkNet' using T.A.I.L.S., and look for email providers there.
Hi, Csin -

Perhaps this question is naive, but I've never used the "dark net." What types of e-mail services could I expect to find, and what assurance would I have that they're as trustworthy as regular webmail?

Thanks,
Brian
WheelDeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2017, 06:44 AM   #18
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
and what assurance would I have that they're as trustworthy as regular webmail?
Lots of assurances--zero reliable evidence. I understand the desire for secure and private email, but what guarantees can any service provide that they aren't simply saying one thing and doing another? Even with full encryption etc., if it is provided by a company out of your control you have no way of knowing if it is not simply an arm of the Chinese or Russian or other government, or if it has surreptitiously granted a back door to the NSA or some other service. Personally, I think you are safer and more private being one needle in the giant haystack of some popular service like Gmail or Outlook.com. Sure, your emails are scanned for advertising, but at least they aren't being scanned for your bank account information. We are always afraid of the wrong things.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote