EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 29 Dec 2017, 03:30 AM   #1
pomj

website hosting question

I wonder if the simple website hosting provided by Fastmail would allow me to have small RSS feed that points to some files in the Fastmail Files are?

My thought was to have a small feed with lectures that I can download to podcast app when needed

Hope you can help
pomj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29 Dec 2017, 06:26 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Fastmail does not offer RSS feeds for files, email, or any other features of your account at this time. But RSS feeds are mostly used to inform you when something changes on a site. In this case, it appears to me that you will be both updating and using the files. So why don’t you just create a website link at Fastmail to a file folder with Files & Dir listing with upload access? You could require password access if you wish. This would allow you to easily upload files to the folder from a browser, then download them by browsing to that URL for the folder. You will see a list of all of the lectures and could click any one of them to access it.

You could also use a RSS feed creator such as:
http://createfeed.fivefilters.org
See more here:
https://www.howtogeek.com/318401/how...r-any-website/

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jan 2018, 08:58 PM   #3
pomj

Thank's for your answer Bill.

I have now subscribed, migrated my mail and most things are dandy.

I got the site working but stumbled upon an issue I didn't expect. Some of the files I wanted to host are 300-400 MB and then I realized that was too big for the web interface...

I've tried webdav on my MAC with very poor result so I tried with FTP. It works but it is extremely slow. Maxing out at 50kb

Is it really this slow?

My connection is 150GB/10GB using a MacPro 2014 with latest High Sierra

Grateful for help/feedback

/michael
Old 5 Jan 2018, 10:02 AM   #4
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

I can imagine that the connection is throttled.

https://www.fastmail.com/help/files/davnftp.html
Quote:
We've had a couple of users doing reasonable things which just happen to hit pathological cases in our filesystem implementation. To stop this happening, we've had to restrict the FTP server to one connection per user. Hopefully we can remove this limitation again soon, but for now it's needed to ensure that the service keeps working smoothly for everyone else.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jan 2018, 02:38 PM   #5
pomj

Yeah I have read that but didn't in my wildest fantasy imagine that "one connection per user" would be that you just had 50kb upload bandwidth!

Above that it often fails in the end.

The reason I went with Fastmail was to get mail and the (what I thought) convenient file storage.

I have to turn to their support in this matter. Thanks for your help anyway
Old 5 Jan 2018, 04:00 PM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow 50 MB file size limit

As shown on the File Quota section of Help, the maximum file size you can upload is 50 MB. I find that 60 MB files usually work, but 80 MB files fail. Also see the Bandwidth Limits: files and websites section of the Account Limits help page.

By dragging multiple files from Windows 10 File Explorer into a folder in the Fastmail Files screen, I get about 2.3 MB/sec file upload rate for a 103 MB total size upload. That's about 18.5 Mbits/sec using my FIOS fiber internet connection with an upload throughput to a test server of about 85 Mbits/sec.

My employer uses box.com for large file transfers, and I find that Microsoft OneDrive also works very well. Fastmail really isn't designed for heavy cloud storage uses.

Bill

Last edited by n5bb : 5 Jan 2018 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Added transfer rate test results
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jan 2018, 07:03 PM   #7
pomj

Once again I am using the file section. I am not talking about mail usage

The maximum file size you are referring to is in the web interface. I am using FTP with Transmit limited to 1 connection to server (as the documentation says).

With an upload speed of 50kb I am nowhere close to reach any of the bandwidth limits. And the worst thing is that even though I just leave it so it can take it's time 8 out of 10 times the upload fails anyway.

To upload one file with a size of 2-400 mb is *not* heavy cloud storage usage
Old 5 Jan 2018, 07:44 PM   #8
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomj View Post
Once again I am using the file section. I am not talking about mail usage
I think you may need to read the information in the links provided by Bill again.

FastMail do say:

The maximum file size you can upload is 50 MB

But if they can change that limit especially for you, that would be great.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jan 2018, 08:30 PM   #9
pomj

Yeah that would be really nice if they could give me my own quota... :-)

Before I signed up I did check this up and found a page that specified that the limit 50MB was for the web interface only and that DAV/FTP had 500MB. Above that had FTP the limit of one connection per user. If this in fact isn't the case I have made a bad decision jumping on the fastmail train again. My intended usage of the file storage is then not possible.

I will try to get a refund

Anyway. Didn't mean to be rude or anything (thought you misunderstood me).
Old 5 Jan 2018, 10:26 PM   #10
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomj View Post
Yeah that would be really nice if they could give me my own quota... :-)

Before I signed up I did check this up and found a page that specified that the limit 50MB was for the web interface only and that DAV/FTP had 500MB. Above that had FTP the limit of one connection per user. If this in fact isn't the case I have made a bad decision jumping on the fastmail train again. My intended usage of the file storage is then not possible.
You’re right, but is this still valid?
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/show...32&postcount=6
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jan 2018, 02:09 AM   #11
pomj

I don't know. I thought so when I signed up though.

The weird. thing here is that the throttling came something like 10 years ago. Could it be correct that they haven't been able to fix this during all these years? To me that seems ver weird
Old 6 Jan 2018, 06:29 PM   #12
rnkn

Not sure what Bill's talking about, there's no such thing as an "RSS service". RSS/Atom is just an XML file and served like any other. You can verify this by copying any feed URL from any website and entering "curl URL" into your shell.

You can generate an RSS/Atom feed with any static site generator, e.g. Jekyll, Hugo, etc.
rnkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jan 2018, 10:52 PM   #13
Cory
Essential Contributor

I would contact support. Their might be something else going on that they need to fix.
Cory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jan 2018, 02:42 AM   #14
pomj

An update.
I connected through webdav with transmit with much better results than FTP. It's the same painfully slow upload but it actually finishes. For me that's ok. Not ideal but ok. It's just that I want a few reference files available so it's not like there will be any heavy traffic. Just for my own usage.

I manually put together a RSS feed that I have subscribed to in my podcast player making it available for listening when I need to.

I will however contact support to try to find out if this very low speed really is correct
Old 9 Jan 2018, 09:45 PM   #15
nudge

Another option is Panic's macOS Transmit app (iOS also available). This works quite nicely with Fastmail and allows you to fine tune various bandwidth / upload options. It's not cheap but not too pricey either iirc.

If the good folks from Fastmail know the exact optimal configuration options for that, it would be interesting to hear.
nudge is offline   Reply With Quote