EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 15 Apr 2018, 08:36 PM   #1
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Yahoo and AOL mail users

Oath’s new privacy policy allows it to scan your Yahoo and AOL mail for targeted advertising:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/14/1...terms-scan-ads
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16 Apr 2018, 03:20 AM   #2
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
Oath’s new privacy policy allows it to scan your Yahoo and AOL mail for targeted advertising:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/14/1...terms-scan-ads
well whats new...most (free) email providers do this..Google and Outlook are no exception.. Remember if you are NOT paying YOU are the product!!

AFAIK only Yandex and ZOHO do NOT scan emails (unless for anti-spam and virus reasons)!! They also do NOT show ads in their webinterface:-)

I have accounts with both providers and I am very happy with them.

Like i said before...I would NOT use Yahoo or AOL for anything serious....nuff said.

Dutchie.
Dutchie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2018, 03:16 AM   #3
Bamb0
Master of the @

Havent they been doing this for 1 or 2 years now anyway (YAHOO)

Looks like AOL joined them......... (Just more intrusiveness)
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2018, 03:33 AM   #4
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie007 View Post
Google and Outlook are no exception.
Don't know about Outlook, but Google stopped scanning emails for adverttising purposed in mid-2017:
Quote:
G Suite’s Gmail is already not used as input for ads personalization, and Google has decided to follow suit later this year in our free consumer Gmail service. Consumer Gmail content will not be used or scanned for any ads personalization after this change.
Gmail blog by Diane Greene, CEO, Google Cloud
janusz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2018, 07:56 PM   #5
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
Don't know about Outlook, but Google stopped scanning emails for adverttising purposed in mid-2017:

Gmail blog by Diane Greene, CEO, Google Cloud
Quote:
G Suite customers and free consumer Gmail users can remain confident that Google will keep privacy and security paramount as we continue to innovate.
Purely focused on email, what's then the difference in relation to privacy using Gmail and let's say Fastmail? In other words: why should I use FM if Google isn't scanning my emails anymore?
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2018, 12:35 AM   #6
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
why should I use FM if Google isn't scanning my emails anymore?
Because:
1) Google in general, and Gmail in particular, is the devil incarnate
2) Gmail is for common folks; we, the cognoscenti, use sophisticated services, the more obscure the better
janusz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2018, 04:28 AM   #7
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
"the cognoscenti" ; am I the only one thinking about the Illuminati returning into the time with internet available?

The problem with the more obscure services is always whether they'll stick around long enough, they have to compete with massive multinationals... This has lead to the downfall or to becoming less effective of several email services that were great when they first came along (think Safe-Mail.net and Lavabit)

Other than that, I don't use Yahoo myself so I won't judge myself. I am still somewhat doubting though, not so much for email purposes itself but merely for Flickr. That is, if Flickr is more protected against hacks and thus safer than the email part of the Yahoo package. Otherwise I better stick to a paid photo gallery host. 1 terrabyte free photo hosting is tempting, but not if you constantly have to worry about the security of your portfolio.
(I don't consider Instagram to be a photo portfolio host, more a photo diary. A portfolio means photos are ranked per subject in folders rather than displayed in chronological order)
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote