EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 28 Sep 2021, 06:27 PM   #1
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
cloudflare introduce its free email forwarding

https://blog.cloudflare.com/introducing-email-routing/
I like CF who provides great services for webmaster always.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28 Sep 2021, 08:53 PM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

Interesting, and probably much more reliable forwarding than typical email providers. I wonder what the never-forward-email folks think? Doesn't it seem like email forwarding is having a moment? I've noticed several newish companies joining the fray. Notably SimpleLogin, ManyMe, and now Cloudflare. And, it appears that good old POBox.com is rolling right along. Of course you can also send as well as receive using POBox.com.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2021, 09:30 PM   #3
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Interesting, and probably much more reliable forwarding than typical email providers. I wonder what the never-forward-email folks think? Doesn't it seem like email forwarding is having a moment? I've noticed several newish companies joining the fray. Notably SimpleLogin, ManyMe, and now Cloudflare. And, it appears that good old POBox.com is rolling right along. Of course you can also send as well as receive using POBox.com.
Also don't forget mayway.app who is rich on features but not that solid. But I like mayway since it can forward to many different addresses.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2021, 10:17 PM   #4
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Cloudflare says about this new service;
Quote:
Note: Available only if you manage Domain Name System (DNS) on Cloudflare
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2021, 05:57 AM   #5
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpan
I ike CF who provides great services for webmaster always.
Yes i like them also.... They offer NO BROWSER LEFT BEHIND for those sites that wanna force SSL but dont wanna cut off older browsers....

http://blog.cloudflare.com/sha-1-dep...er-left-behind

That lets ANY BROWSER connect SSL..
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2021, 08:26 AM   #6
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
It looks like you'll need two domains to use it without using a shared domain/email service. Point the MX for one domain there, and another somewhere else. The screenshots imply that you're just forwarding to another address, so their ideal target is probably someone using a free service on the backend. Which, frankly, is a lot. I'd surely find out that Gmail is my customer's favorite email client if I tried.
jarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2022, 04:35 AM   #7
TenFour
Master of the @

Now in open beta

Cloudflare email routing is now in "open beta." https://blog.cloudflare.com/email-routing-open-beta/
Old 11 Feb 2022, 06:42 PM   #8
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

I've had access for a few days, before the beta was opened up for everyone, and have been experimenting with the forwarding. This is following on from this post.

However, setting up Cloudflare has resulted in a few more head scratches than normal!

I set up the DNS records as I thought they should be, but Cloudflare didn't like some of them and I was getting failures on receipt (always checking via a Gmail account). I'm now at a stage where Cloudflare is saying 'A few more steps are required to complete your setup' and wants a DMARC record policy included - I entered a DMARC record (none policy), but that then resulted in Gmail reporting DMARC as FAIL. That's confused me as I then was receiving DMARC reports on e-mails forwarded from Cloudflare! So, I've removed the DMARC record but Cloudflare are asking for it again.

Are Cloudflare treating their forwarding different from, for example, Porkbun's forwarding?
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2022, 08:15 PM   #9
TenFour
Master of the @

There's no mention of needing a DMARC record here: https://blog.cloudflare.com/migratin...email-routing/
Old 11 Feb 2022, 08:29 PM   #10
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
There's no mention of needing a DMARC record here: https://blog.cloudflare.com/migratin...email-routing/
Here's a link to a screencap: https://i.postimg.cc/MHRdy6JL/Screen...1-11-23-34.png
Old 11 Feb 2022, 08:37 PM   #11
TenFour
Master of the @

Did you get the confirmation email after creating the email address?
Quote:
This step will trigger sending a confirmation email to username13335@gmail.com so that we can prove that the destination Inbox is yours. You need to open Gmail and press the verification link.
Old 11 Feb 2022, 08:38 PM   #12
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Did you get the confirmation email after creating the email address?
Yep, been verified.
Old 11 Feb 2022, 08:45 PM   #13
TenFour
Master of the @

If it were me I would try (if possible) reverting my DNS to whatever the default was, then start from scratch and follow their instructions for creating the records automatically.
Quote:
Then, on the last step, you need to configure your zone MX and SPF DNS records. We will do this automatically for you. Just press "Add records automatically". If you already have MX or SPF configured, we will guide you through the conflicts we find and help you solve them.
Old 11 Feb 2022, 08:50 PM   #14
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
If it were me I would try (if possible) reverting my DNS to whatever the default was, then start from scratch and follow their instructions for creating the records automatically.
I'm inclined to leave 'as is' for the time being - without the DMARC record, I'm receiving the forwarded e-mails to my inbox, which is acceptable for now.

Hopefully, others that try out the Cloudflare offering will post their experiences in due course.
Old 11 Feb 2022, 08:54 PM   #15
TenFour
Master of the @

Yes, I don't think the DMARC record is needed for forwarding. But, this again points out what to me seems like poor documentation and unclear UI on Cloudflare. I know geeks think differently, but I find that muddled UI often means muddled functionality.