EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > The Technical Zone...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Technical Zone... The Geeky forum... Use this forum to discuss technical aspects of email, from authentication protocols to encryption.

Old 10 Nov 2022, 12:19 PM   #1
Moraypowerapps

2 emails from same domain

Is it possible to have 2 email address from same domain pointing to 2 different place? ie info@alan.org pointing to google mx
enquire@alan.org forwarding to another email.
domain on plesk hosting
Thank you.
Moraypowerapps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21 Nov 2022, 04:29 AM   #2
jdtaylor
Master of the @

You should be able to, this would be under forwarding on any hosting provider control panel.
jdtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2022, 06:54 AM   #3
pjroutledge

I've frequently found this article helpful: https://www.apexdigital.co.nz/blog/w...h-dns-records/

The focus is not on setting up different subdomains as asked by OP, but it does show how subdomains are treated (using the example 'branch@xyz.com').

As implied, you can set up multiple subdomain MX records and point them to different destinations.
pjroutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2022, 01:52 PM   #4
Moraypowerapps

OK thank you
will have a look through and see how i get on.
Moraypowerapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2022, 10:19 PM   #5
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroutledge View Post
I've frequently found this article helpful: https://www.apexdigital.co.nz/blog/w...h-dns-records/

The focus is not on setting up different subdomains as asked by OP, but it does show how subdomains are treated (using the example 'branch@xyz.com').

As implied, you can set up multiple subdomain MX records and point them to different destinations.
I'm confused. The OP was NOT asking about subdomains.

The article IS about defining different DNS records for domains and their subdomains.

In an email address like "womble@xyz.com", the "womble" part is not a subdomain; there's no subdomain involved in that email address.

For the domain "xyz.com", a subdomain (eg "collector") could be defined; then anyone emailing an address there (ie: "collector.xyz.com") would use an email address like "recyclingwomble@collector.xyz.com".
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2022, 10:23 PM   #6
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtaylor View Post
You should be able to, this would be under forwarding on any hosting provider control panel.
Doesn't that only work if ALL mails for the domain go to that host, then that host uses the rules defined on the control panel to forward some of them elsewhere?

I had the impression the OP is looking for a method that directly sends some mails to a different host from the default one.
Old 22 Nov 2022, 07:07 AM   #7
pjroutledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
I'm confused. The OP was NOT asking about subdomains.
You're right. My bad. I'm gonna blame it on [the currently fashionable] 'brain fog'.

The article does show how different email addresses at the same domain can be directed to different destinations. I just stuffed up with the reference to subdomains.

Cheers.
Old 22 Nov 2022, 05:15 PM   #8
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroutledge View Post
The article does show how different email addresses at the same domain can be directed to different destinations.
It really doesn't.

Please explain precisely what text in that article makes you think it does.

Is it possible that you think that the use of an "@" in some of these definitions is email-address-related? It's not. It's just a shorthand form that means "this domain" as opposed to a named subdomain of "this domain".

Nothing I've read anywhere about MX records suggests they can ever contain anything that relates, in email addresses, to whatever's before the "@" sign.

The sending SMTP server only uses MX records to decide which receiving SMTP server it should attempt to deliver a domain/subdomain's email to. It's up to the latter server to decide if it will accept the email; one of the criteria it applies will be its local configuration specifying whether or not emails are only accepted for defined addresses.
Old 23 Nov 2022, 02:36 AM   #9
pjroutledge

You're right again.

I had misread the reference to the 'branch' subdomain (in the Zone File screenshot) as an MX record for 'branch@xyz.com', rather than 'branch.xyz.com'.

And this conversation has corrected a misconception I'd had, which was that different email addresses at a single domain could be directed to different destinations. I think I've been believing that for quite a long time and misread the article as confirmation of that misunderstanding.

Apology to the OP for misleading you.
Old 23 Nov 2022, 10:10 AM   #10
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

It seems that many years ago the DNS system had some means to do something like what the OP wants, but it was obsoleted around 1986, when MX records were introduced, or perhaps never really adopted.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2022, 09:54 AM   #11
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Fastmail can be used to achieve the same result

You can do something different with a similar result using Fastmail (https://www.fastmail.com). Set MX in the domain DNS to target the Fastmail incoming mail server. Then in Fastmail you can set each alias to target one or more destination systems.

So you could set info@alan.org to be delivered to a gmail account, enquire@alan.org to be delivered to another host account, and misc@alan.org to be delivered to both gmail and Fastmail accounts.

This alias targeting works as long as the domain is under the control of the user and has the MX set to deliver to the user's Fastmail account. The user's Fastmail account is then hosting the mail delivery for that domain.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote