EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 6 Feb 2007, 04:52 AM   #16
Chipper
Master of the @

Re: Re: Re: What day is Shrove Tuesday this year?

Quote:
Originally posted by robert@fm
Not really paradoxical:

1) Shrove Tuesday (aka Mardi Gras (literally "Fat Tuesday"), at least in Latin America) is what's called "Pancake Day" in the UK, and is always 47 days before Easter; it was thus March 4 in 2003, and is February 20 this year.  Next year it will be February 5.

2) Theoretically, there's nothing to stop anyone declaring any day they like as "Pancake Day", just as the US celebrates "Mother's Day" on a date other than Mothering Sunday, which is 21 days before Easter.  Because of the way UK bank holidays work, some people in the UK still refer to the last Monday in May as "Whitsun", although it seldom actually is (Whit Monday is the 50th day after Easter, which this year coincidentally happens to be the 28th of May; but it usually doesn't work out that way).
Thanks for the explanation, help me understand the paradox (or lack thereof).

Quote:
Originally posted by robert@fm
Interesting site.
Thanks!
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2009, 03:16 AM   #17
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@fm View Post
This year [2004], Shrove Tuesday is February 24
And is again this year!

Sadly I haven't got any pancake fixings, and my friend is fast asleep anyway -- he'll probably wake sometime tomorrow. Oh well, we'll just have to have our pancakes a day or so late this year...
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2009, 05:49 AM   #18
vans

We have just finished eating lots of pancakes. Sugar and lemon juice seems to be the favorite filling this year. We took it in turns to to toss the pancakes. Needless to say mine were a disaster.

I know that in Austria they call it Faschingsdienstag. One year we were staying in a hotel in Austria, we were the only British family. On Shrove Tuesday at the end of our evening meal, and without us asking the hotel staff gave us a big plate of pancakes, covered in chocolate. I thought that was very thoughtful. I don't think the Austrians have pancakes on Shrove Tuesday
vans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Mar 2011, 09:13 PM   #19
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Today (March 8) is Shrove Tuesday this year!

I've got all the fixings; eggs, flour, non-stick frying spray (olive-oil based), lemon juice, powdered sweetener (it works great on pancakes as a sugar substitute)... now I just hope my friend stays awake long enough.
Old 17 Jan 2012, 11:54 PM   #20
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Shrove Tuesday is February 21 this year.

At the recommendation of the diabetes forum I'm on, I and my friend may be having buckwheat pancakes (lower GL than those made from ordinary flour) this year...
Old 22 Jan 2013, 02:44 PM   #21
ROBERT.BAK
Essential Contributor

Tuesday, February 12 this year!
ROBERT.BAK is offline   Reply With Quote