EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 16 Dec 2001, 12:52 AM   #16
DaveHanson

A big "me too" from me also! This service keeps getting better.

Jeremy (or anyone), a quick follow-up to your point about spamming. Is there any way to allow visitors to your web site to click on a link to e-mail you without having it be easily harvestable by spammers?

Thanks, Dave
DaveHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2001, 01:08 AM   #17
geoffreycross

Your best bet is to do one of the following:

a) publicise your address as myuseridREMOVEME@somewhere.theinternet.com. This is not ideal because the user sending you email has to edit the address, but it is very common. I'm not sure how well the automatic REMOVEME removers are these days: they might be able to defeat a lot of these types of things (be more inventive than me).

b) publicise your address as myuserid+fromwebpage@somewhere.com. Filter out everything with the +fromwebpage extension into a folder that you acknowledge might well contain a fair amount of spam. An addition to this might be to insist that users sending you legitimate email must put some keyword into the subject line, and you can then filter out anything that doesn't contain this keyword.

c) only allow email to be sent to you from a web-page via a CGI script which doesn't need to reveal the address to which it is being sent.

Geoff.
geoffreycross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2001, 03:51 AM   #18
neerav

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveHanson
Is there any way to allow visitors to your web site to click on a link to e-mail you without having it be easily harvestable by spammers?
You can also visit http://siteup.com/index_explorer.html and enter your email address. This free service will encode your email address using escape characters and whatnot that causes email harvesters to choke, but your address will appear normal to the web user and is also functional if they click on it.

--Neerav
neerav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2001, 08:15 AM   #19
DaveHanson

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'm going to give Neerav's suggestions a try. D
DaveHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2002, 11:18 AM   #20
jdkanaris

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Howard
You're welcome!!!

PS: Jamie--you've got your FastMail.FM email address as plain text on your web-site's home page. That's likely to lead to spammers harvesting it for their lists. I suggest instead writing jamieATf-mDOTfm or some other human-readable but machine-unreadable form to avoid this problem.
Jeremy:

Does it make a difference if the actual forwarding link is a valid e-mail? To use your example:

<A class=UnSelectedWhite href="mailto:jamie@fastmail.fm">jamieATfastmailDOTfm</a>

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE FASTMAIL! I just became a member (ditched Hotmail).
jdkanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2002, 12:00 PM   #21
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

If you have a bare address in a mailto: link, it's likely to be harvested.
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2002, 01:06 PM   #22
jdkanaris

Ok Jeremy, good to know!
jdkanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2002, 06:46 PM   #23
redmyrlin
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by neerav

You can also visit http://siteup.com/index_explorer.html and enter your email address. This free service will encode your email address using escape characters and whatnot that causes email harvesters to choke, but your address will appear normal to the web user and is also functional if they click on it.

--Neerav
Let me first of all add my thanks and praise to fastmail.fm, not just for the excellent second-to-none email service they provide, but also for the existence of this forum and its friendly community of users.

Secondly thanks for the advice, Jeremy, about bare text mailto:'s on web sites, and thanks Neerav for the link to that site - I'll certainly be using it!

I just wonder how it works though?
redmyrlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2002, 08:15 PM   #24
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Another Mail-Masker:

I'm not 100% sure on the code, but basically it was a Javascript where you defined the var's User and Domain. Then at the place where you want people to see a mail-me link there'd be a

write(<a href=mailto:+'user'+@+'domain'>Mail Me</a>)
(NOTE: This probably won't work, as I said, I am not too good at Javascript. I just happened to see such a script somewhere not too long ago)

This way your complete addy would not be anywhere in the code.

Before I forget: ME 2! Give me Fastmail or give me death!
kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2002, 09:20 PM   #25
fmfan
Master of the @

So very nice to have FastMail with IMAP.

My computer hard drive crashed month or so ago -
had not backed up Outlook emails - so lost that on computer.

BUT, once had Windows, Outlook reinstalled, VERY soon had
all emails back on hard drive - just resynchronized with my
FastMail [IMAP] account!

How sweet it is.

And Jeremy, Rob, again much thanks for your very timely,
informative and kind past responses to questions I've had
re my account. ...
fmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2002, 06:24 AM   #26
sjk
Master of the @

Another one: Hivelogic Email Address Encoder.
sjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2002, 11:57 PM   #27
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

For the ultra-paranoid

I really like the way this topic drifted!

I'm in love with FastMail and my wife is jealous!

For the ultra-paranoid:
Use a disposable email address that forwards to your fastmail account. If it starts getting spam, replace it (I use sneakemail.com for this when I post my address on my websites. I use spamgourmet.com when I post it in forums, several other such services are recommended in/by fromline.com).

If you do want your real email to show on your website so real people can copy it from the screen using real pencil and paper, you can do it quite safely using an image (create the page the way you want it to look, then use <Print Scrn> or whatever way you want to capture the screen and paste it to your favourite garaphics application, crop the email address, make the background transparent, and replace the text email in the HTML page by the image). Then you're safe until spammers start to use OCR in scanning the web.

Actually, I had a real address posted plainly on a tripod page for more than a year, and never got spam on that address (actually google didn't find that website either. Anyone interested in a calculus website in Hebrew?)
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2002, 12:29 AM   #28
psalzer

I guess I can add a me too, too. I've had my Fastmail account for about a year now but the honeymoon is't over by a long shot.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2002, 08:48 AM   #29
rwillis
Essential Contributor

Me too!

I enjoy seeing FastMail.fm grow and develop. I enjoy using all of its features, and I anticipate all the new cool features as well!
rwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2002, 09:45 AM   #30
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

STOP!

STOP!
Post your Yeah, FM is great posts to the sticky Fastmail Testimonials thread!
elvey is offline   Reply With Quote