EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 2 Sep 2006, 08:03 PM   #1
digp
Master of the @

Tuffmail doesn't want fastmail customers

Quote:
Due to the large number of Fastmail.fm customers that are creatingtrial accounts solely to have a free place to host their domainwhile Fastmail.fm is unable to provide services to their customers,we will not enable trial accounts without futher communication fromyou. If you are not a Fastmail customer seeking any free port ina storm until Fastmail.fm is able to provide you with servicesagain, contact support@tuffmail.net and we will enable your trialaccount.We do apologize to non Fastmail.fm customers for this inconvience.Thank you,Tuffmail Support
uh oh - what a to do?
digp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2 Sep 2006, 08:04 PM   #2
digp
Master of the @

oh and the bloke at tuffmail can't spell either.
Old 2 Sep 2006, 08:15 PM   #3
digp
Master of the @

Re: I will post it here also

Quote:
Originally posted by madmax1
Moderator: Spam removed

All this for just $5.95/month, with no contract required and a money-back guarantee if you're not satisfied after one month!
STOP SPAMMING.Moderator: Spam removed

Last edited by ReuvenNY : 3 Sep 2006 at 12:13 AM.
Old 2 Sep 2006, 08:25 PM   #4
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

looks like they are getting tuff... well I suppose it does look like they are being used but some F/m customers will stay if they are given the chance to get an account.

Personally I don't think is a very good business decision turning people away, if they get to keep 50% of them then its good for their business.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2006, 08:28 PM   #5
digp
Master of the @

yes, very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very (etc.) stupid thing to do.

they must live on planet zog?
Old 2 Sep 2006, 08:30 PM   #6
rosendahl

Wow, that is... unbelievable. I thought Tuffmail was going to get a lot of business out of this server problem and I considered trying them out myself as an alternative, but with the non-professional attitude displayed in this and other posts on the forum, especially the ones from the guy in charge himself, I am staying far away. So what if a lot of the free trial accounts would never turn into paying customers? If the service provided was good, the people leaving would remember that and maybe recommend the service to other people. Or return later themselves. Reputation is so important for a business, so why is Tuffmail ruining it for themselves? Oh well, I guess they are happy with the customers they have and do not want more. A friend of mine is using their service and is certainly happy with it.
rosendahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2006, 08:32 PM   #7
njlieckfeldt

Quote:
Originally posted by digp
yes, very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very (etc.) stupid thing to do.

they must live on planet zog?
Well, I've been wondering about this. Have decided to quit Fastmail and have opened a test account with Tuffmail. However, after their exchange with theukrainian and the way this business decision has been communicated (wouldn't it have been more politic to say that the number of test accounts is putting too big a strain on the network and disadvantages existing customers?) I am beginning to wonder...

N.
njlieckfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2006, 08:35 PM   #8
Shazzer
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Terry
looks like they are getting tuff... well I suppose it does look like they are being used but some F/m customers will stay if they are given the chance to get an account.

Personally I don't think is a very good business decision turning people away, if they get to keep 50% of them then its good for their business.
I agree. Unless the influx of Fastmail-user sign-ups is pulling resources away from their current paid accounts, it's probably Tuffmail's best interest to leaved the free trial open to everyone. I suspect a lot of the (rightfully) cheesed-off Fastmail users will stay on and become paying customers.
Shazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2006, 08:41 PM   #9
snj

Certainly the only reason I created an account at Tuffmail was because of this Fastmail fiasco - I'd never even heard of them before yesterday, but then again I've never had a need to look for another provider until now. I looked at them because of recommendation here.

Having moved my domain and finally got access to my email, I've been looking seriously at the Tuffmail service and had pretty much made my mind up to move, but that support comment just stops me dead in my tracks.

Surely It's the perfect opportunity for Tuffmail to get a shed load of new paying customers? Especially since I gather that most of us affected are Enhanced users.
snj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2006, 10:12 PM   #10
rcgabriel

Okay, now that is... just plain crazy. I mean, I actually *tried* to pay for my Tuffmail account yesterday because after trying it out for a few hours, I decided it was great. And I couldn't figure out how to prepay - no invoice seems to show up on my account.

So... they are complaining that they have too many trial accounts coming in, but I can't even figure out how to upgrade my account to a full account.

This is just plain weird. I guess some people aren't really motivated to make money. I thought I was doing Tuffmail a favor by advocating for switching over to their service here on the forums.
rcgabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2006, 10:13 PM   #11
bernfrin

I've been a TuffMail subscriber for close to a year. I actually switched to Tuffmail after the first fiasco Fastmail had. I think a lot of Fastmail's problems are due to the number of freeloaders that they are supporting. I think Tuffmail has made a very wise decision. They don't want their servers overloaded with free loaders who are looking for a temporary solution until Fastmail is up and running again. I applaud their decision not to allow current fastmail users to take advantage of the 30 day trial. As a paid user of TuffMail, I don't want to see my service degradated by a bunch of people who are only looking for an interim solution. Some may switch permanently, but most will run back to Fastmail as soon as the all clear is sounded.

The only way Fastmail stands any chance of improving service is to get rid of the free accounts. You want reliable service, you pay for it. You don't want to pay - go somewhere else. In the time I have been with Tuffmail, and it is my primary email provider, there has not been one single outage.

By the way, I still have my Fastmail enhanced account until February 07, but I use Fastmail for nothing. I log on occasionally to clean out my spam folder.
bernfrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2006, 10:57 PM   #12
geodude

Tuffmail's stance make sense to me. If folks simply want a free temporary account until FM becomes a serious business, there are alternative. If you are too put out by "further communication" then they're probably not serious anyway. the Tuff mail statement didn't preclued any free accounts. I've been happy with FM in my short time with them, but now I know that they are simply not a serious business entity. This isn't rocket science, it email for cripes sake. If the owners were serious the long outgate experienced by some customers would never had happened. If no one loses a job over this, it will confirm the owners' seriousness.

Last edited by geodude : 2 Sep 2006 at 11:02 PM.
geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2006, 10:59 PM   #13
JasonWard
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally posted by bernfrin
The only way Fastmail stands any chance of improving service is to get rid of the free accounts. You want reliable service, you pay for it. You don't want to pay - go somewhere else. In the time I have been with Tuffmail, and it is my primary email provider, there has not been one single outage.
Except that Fastmail say, and I see no reason to disbeleive them, that the free accounts represent such a small percentage in usage and disk terms that they make hardly any impact on the service at all.

Jason
JasonWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2006, 11:04 PM   #14
Chipper
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by Terry

I'm wondering if he had to do that so his servers wouldn't get so overloaded that nobody (both new & existing custs) couldn't access TM. Just throwing that out as a theory. I may be completely wrong.
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2006, 11:07 PM   #15
joely

Does Fastmail want Fastmail customers then?

I am a fastmail enhanced customer and wouldn't mind at least being able to redirect my currently bouncing e-mail to a fastmail trial account!!!

Now there's an idea!
joely is offline   Reply With Quote