EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 7 Nov 2012, 12:32 AM   #1
ezfig

Suggestion: apply filters

My experience with filters in Runbox is that they are very unreliable. Runbox support has not been particularly helpful; their answers seem to complicate issues while avoiding a solution.

When I create a filter, my most obvious concern is that it work. Therefore, it would help to be able to apply the filter to see if it works. In this case, it would delete mail in my junk box, and i would know it works. As it is, I set up a filter to delete mail with "from" "Green Coffee," for example, and the next day I have in my junk box three emails with "Green Coffee" in the "from" field.
ezfig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12 Nov 2012, 12:24 AM   #2
dbowdley
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Runbox.com
ezfig,

I am sorry that we have not been able to help you resolve the issue you are having with filters.

I very much agree that being able to apply a filter to existing emails would be very useful (for many reasons).

Best wishes,
Dave
dbowdley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2012, 01:40 AM   #3
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Is that it?

I would have thought that, at this time with many FastMail users here on the forum re-thinking their choice of provider, this would be an ideal chance for Runbox to "go above and beyond" to assist with any user problems.

IMHO, a bit defeatist?
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2012, 02:19 AM   #4
dbowdley

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Not defeatist at all. It is difficult to discuss individual support issues in an open forum for privacy reasons, and I do not know who ezfig is so cannot refer to this specific case.

If this support issue is "ongoing' then a member of Runbox staff will still be dealing with this. If the customer has given up on our ability to provide help then there is little more that we can do other than continue to improve the reliability of filters and improve their functionality without further input from the customer.

As I understand it, the point of this customer raising the issue here is to say that they would like to be able to apply filters to existing emails to try a filter out. I can't say that applying filters to existing email would be a bad idea, and it clearly would have significant benefits. Would you have me defend the current situation and claim no further improvements are possible?

Runbox operates a policy of being open and honest with customers and we will not deviate from that policy.

If ezfig wishes to continue discussing the issue with us privately in a support ticket we will continue to monitor the situation on that particular account and make improvements as and when we can.

Runbox filters are not unreliable, but there are specific instances where they do not function as expected and we would like to understand this more ourselves so that we can improve the service.

I hope you find this less defeatist, and I am sorry if I gave any other impression

Dave
dbowdley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2012, 02:24 AM   #5
kservik

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezfig View Post
My experience with filters in Runbox is that they are very unreliable. Runbox support has not been particularly helpful; their answers seem to complicate issues while avoiding a solution.

When I create a filter, my most obvious concern is that it work. Therefore, it would help to be able to apply the filter to see if it works. In this case, it would delete mail in my junk box, and i would know it works. As it is, I set up a filter to delete mail with "from" "Green Coffee," for example, and the next day I have in my junk box three emails with "Green Coffee" in the "from" field.
What order value did you use on the filter? The filter system does what you ask it to do as it is a exim filter. You can read more about it here: Order Values for Filters.

Also: Can you describe what values you used? If you are 100% sure of what you are doing, then using the "header" field is very good. Using the "header" field if the values are only in the content will not work.

Kim

Last edited by kservik : 12 Nov 2012 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Added mre information to reflect limits of using header field.
kservik is offline   Reply With Quote