EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 16 May 2003, 10:34 PM   #16
oysterquartz
The "e" in e-mail

I suggested mimicing the This is Spam button from Yahoo! months ago, as it seems that it is the perfect all in one approach.

Did anyone read the MSN article indicating how many Spam messages hit Hotmail/MSN per day. 2.4 Billion!! Just astounding volume! In that light, the performance of the Yahoo! and Hotmail filters is quite impressive! When I tested the MSN8 subscription service on a free trial to see what it was like, I found their spam filtering extremely effective (and it is noted as being far more robust and advanced than the "free" service of Hotmail/MSN).

Here is a link:

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...amFilterPR.asp
oysterquartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2003, 11:30 PM   #17
chicory_patch

OT: Fighting spam the old fassion way

Well I have spammer on my Yahoo account. The <insert foul language> person is fool enough to include her phone number. Well I looked her up on Verizon, and then called her local cops as her state has anti-spam law. I've tried reporting her through the isp stuff but still get a message a day. Now I'm going to make sure she learns her lesson.

Anyone here ever gone legal with a spammer? The chief of police in her town said he would check who is supposed to enforce the law, he thinks it is matter for the district attorny. I'll know soon.

Chicory, the happy little spam fighting warrior.
chicory_patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2003, 12:46 AM   #18
oysterquartz
The "e" in e-mail

I think most local police forces would get swampted down in Jurisdicational issues and really (if it weren't a case of fraud or spoofing the addresses) couldn't proceed.

Don't forget that in many cases (most) SPAM is NOT illegal, but only spoofing the return addresses (i.e. fraud) is at issue. Here is an article about a major spammer's arrest from today in the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/15/te...gy/15SPAM.html
Old 17 May 2003, 04:29 PM   #19
puff

back to the origin of the post, i'd have to say no.

since i've been using FM i haven't recieved a single spam email.

not one.

the only emails i've recieved are from people i've given my email address out to.

this is more than i can say for some other domains. (that will remain unnamed)

Eliminate SPAM !!!

puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2003, 04:39 PM   #20
sjk
Master of the @

Remember, SPAM is a registered trademark of Hormel Foods Corporation; spam isn't. It's case-sensitive.
sjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2003, 10:36 PM   #21
oysterquartz
The "e" in e-mail

IMO, SPAM is as distructive a foodstuff as spam is a form of email.

Its sad to see that the Micronesian island's traditional diet, for example, was destroyed by SPAM and other post WWII introductions into the region like Cheetos, etc. All of which led to the historical aberation of obesity is many Micronesian islands.

I detest SPAM/spam equally! Lets start a anti SPAM/spam crusade!

If any SPAM eaters take offence, I suggest that you take my advice and it a little prosciutto di parma instead Drizzled with a little extra virgin olive oil, topped with a few Parmagiano Reggiano shavings, and seasoned with a few drops of lemon, it represents all that is good in life/culture/cuisine and is the anti-thesis of SPAM/spam!

http://www.prosciuttodiparma.it/ingl...o_di_parma.htm

Buon Appetito!
Old 20 May 2003, 02:06 AM   #22
chicory_patch

Quote:
Originally posted by oysterquartz
I think most local police forces would get swampted down in Jurisdicational issues and really (if it weren't a case of fraud or spoofing the addresses) couldn't proceed.

Don't forget that in many cases (most) SPAM is NOT illegal, but only spoofing the return addresses (i.e. fraud) is at issue. Here is an article about a major spammer's arrest from today in the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/15/te...gy/15SPAM.html
Thank you. Well in this case the nice chief of police refered me to the Attorny general. And by the laws in that state, this would be an offense since they did spoof their address.

Reporting only does so much, I want some 'teeth'. So I'll try this once and see how it goes.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 07:43 AM   #23
an3

BTW, I think that another way to get spammed is to reply to fwd:'s. You know that long list of addresses at the beginning? You can bet somebody is writing those down. If you must, just copy and paste the message text, never forward.
an3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2003, 07:22 PM   #24
Jim44224

Quote:
Originally posted by chicory_patch
Thank you. Well in this case the nice chief of police refered me to the Attorny general. And by the laws in that state, this would be an offense since they did spoof their address.

Reporting only does so much, I want some 'teeth'. So I'll try this once and see how it goes.
chicory_patch: I suspect many good folks here are interested in learning how your legal efforts are doing. Anything you can share at this time (positive or negative)?
Jim44224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2003, 09:13 PM   #25
chicory_patch

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim44224
chicory_patch: I suspect many good folks here are interested in learning how your legal efforts are doing. Anything you can share at this time (positive or negative)?
Well the police called be back. They directed me to the state attorny general. He never called me back, I got busy at work and never filled out a form. But all in all I never got mail from that spammer again.