EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 7 Dec 2020, 06:59 AM   #1
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

The Ping of Death

Appreciating life - via death reminders.

The App That Reminds You You’re Going to Die
It helped me find inner peace

I welcomed these grisly reminders into my life in the hope that WeCroak, along with half a dozen other mindfulness apps, could help transform my iPhone from a stressful distraction into a source of clarity and peace. According to a study by a research firm called Dscout, Americans check their phone an average of 76 times a day for a cumulative two and a half hours—and while many would like to cut back, simple willpower isn’t always enough. Amid growing concerns over our phone fixation, Silicon Valley has, in typical fashion, proposed technology as the solution; there are now more than 1,000 mindfulness apps designed to help us disconnect.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-pings/546587/
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7 Dec 2020, 07:14 AM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

I look at and use my smartphone a lot, but on the other hand I don't feel addicted to it in the least. I routinely go for walks in places around here with no cell service so it is easy to disconnect, and while I am at work the phone only gets picked up on breaks. I guess I am not an addictive personality. Periodically I test myself by just leaving the phone at home and going about my routines without it. Don't miss it particularly, but always nice to get back to it and check up on things too. The ones I really worry about are all the people who drive while looking at their phones or texting. I see them every day, often wandering into my lane if I am driving, or coming way too close if I am on the bike. Those people are addicted and will kill themselves someday.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote