EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 11 Apr 2019, 05:27 AM   #1
TenFour
Master of the @

Differences between Fastmail and POBox?

I think this has been asked before, but are there major differences in the "back ends" between Fastmail and POBox.com (same company). For example, I noticed they use different nameservers.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11 Apr 2019, 06:40 AM   #2
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Have a look here but may be a bit out of date now.

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/show...mail+OR+PO+Box
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2019, 06:48 AM   #3
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
I think this has been asked before, but are there major differences in the "back ends" between Fastmail and POBox.com (same company). For example, I noticed they use different nameservers.
FastMail and Pobox use the same backend (originally from FM). The differences are mainly for historical reasons (before the takeover) to stay compatible.
See further: http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=72615
Berenburger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2019, 06:55 AM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

Thanks--I even commented in those earlier threads about functionality, but I was thinking more about the "back end." Things like servers, DNS systems, engineers, etc. They seem to use different nameservers, indicating to me that the back ends are likely different. Not saying it is the case with POBox and FM, but with other providers I have tried there are often pretty dramatic differences in the performance of things like the web interface, speed of delivery, and even deliverability. Frankly, I'm rather surprised they haven't merged the two systems, taking the best features of both hopefully. It makes me wonder if POBox is going to be around much longer as it seems to have changed very little in several years, and obviously all the public facing activity seems to emanate from FM (blogs, news updates, etc.).
Old 11 Apr 2019, 11:43 PM   #5
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

In 2016 Pobox services are moved to the datacenter of FastMail in NY. To what extent they have already been consolidated into 1 infrastructure is unknown to me.
Pobox is positioned as a forwarding service and FastMail as the email/calender service.
I think most of the users of Pobox has no Mailstore account (email inbox). That's what's FastMail is for.
Two of the eight staff members are formerly Pobox Inc. employees.

https://www.fastmail.com/about/company.html
Quote:
FastMail
Email on your side.
Get the privacy and respect that you deserve while using thoughtfully designed email, calendars and contacts.

Topicbox
Where teams share.
Help your team share and preserve the knowledge you put in email every day by giving the right people access to the conversations that move work forward.

Pobox
Take email further.
Email forwarding that gives you control of your email identity, regardless of where life may take you
Berenburger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2019, 06:44 AM   #6
TenFour
Master of the @

I wouldn't know what percentage of customers on POBox use Mailstore, but it appears to be a much better deal than FM. POBox provides 50GB of storage for the same price FM provides 25GB. However, maybe FM's spam filtering is so much better it is worth it? I used to use POBoxes email forwarding, which worked well overall. It is a good solution I think for many people, but I found the spam filtering rather tedious to deal with. It required me to log into POBox way more than I wanted to.