EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Closed Thread

Old 14 Dec 2004, 12:22 AM   #16
Prognathous
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by gdgrph
...Mailsnare's pitiful offerings...
I'm a happy fastmail.fm user, but I must say that if there's anything I find competitive it's mailsnare's offering. For $20 a year they offer IMAP, 10 aliases, greylisting, TDMA anti-spam (a challenge/response system) and almost everything else a power-user needs. Their offering is far from pitiful. In fact, I believe it's actually unrivaled anywhere else, let alone by the free services that you mentioned.

Prog.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 12:49 PM   #17
gdg

^I actually agree 100% with everything you stated. I should have been more specific. The functionality is good, but they should be providing more than 100MB for that $20/yr now.

Fastmail provides 600MB for $20/yr, and 2GB for $40/yr.
Gmail has 1GB for free.
Yahoo has 250MB for free, 2GB for $20/yr.
MSN has 250MB for free, 2GB for $20/yr.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 02:47 PM   #18
fmnewbee
Master of the @

The bad guys, how to refer to them?

I don't know.

would it be allowed to ask people to take a look at the other email forum?

Mod:- No trew, it would not be allowed. It would be the same as discussing the banned services. JeffK

Last edited by JeffK : 14 Dec 2004 at 03:08 PM.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 03:27 PM   #19
fmnewbee
Master of the @

ok I will do my best to remember this then but ...

the Moderator of that Forum is active here too. So maybe he is just very descrete about such things then. I guess you or Edwin told him to be?

trew
Old 14 Dec 2004, 07:52 PM   #20
gdg

In other words, once the bad guys are banned, we cannot warn people not to use them.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 07:04 AM   #21
mailhunter

Quote:
Originally posted by gdgrph
In other words, once the bad guys are banned, we cannot warn people not to use them.
How's that for irony?

So any service merely on the "not recommended" list can get its rap sheet wiped clean simply by becoming really rotten and therefore having any mention of its name banned from the forum entirely?

This seems like something straight out of BIZARRO WORLD - that comic book about a place where everything is completely backward.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 07:34 AM   #22
war17
The "e" in e-mail

The reason you cannot say anything about a banned rep is that, once a service is banned or its representative banned, he or she cannot defend themselves in these forums. Edwin has stated this as the reason a couple of times.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 08:56 AM   #23
gdg

Quote:
Originally posted by war17
he or she cannot defend themselves in these forums.
Nor should they be able to in these forums, if they've been banned, but there should be a method for warning people who come here against using such services.

Perhaps a sticky locked thread at the top of the "About this Site" forum listing the banned services and why they are banned. That way, people have been forwarned to not talk about those services...as they have been forwarned to not talk about many other issues. At the same time, people are forwarned about the use of those services.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen Mods editing posts people make because they have no idea they are not supposed to be posting about that service. Perhaps this would eliminate that issue. Otherwise, you really can't expect people to have knowledge of something they've never heard or read before.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 09:17 AM   #24
beeboy
Cornerstone of the Community

All this talk, about talking about banning previously banned topics should be banned.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 12:09 PM   #25
mailhunter

But then if all the banned topics and email providers were listed for all to see, then the mods might have nothing to do - hence we'd be lowering their importance. Let's not underestimate all the hard work the mods put in every day reading through every single post to make sure none of them ever contain any one of the possibly numerous banned topics.

You see, by having all these secret rules that no one knows about except the rule enforcers, it creates a virtual full-employment act for the mods. As the saying goes: "knowledge is power" and this also serves to reinforce their position of dominance over their underlings. For a better explanation of the psychology of this phenomenon, see Stanford Prison Experiment

I better end this before I get myself kicked out of here.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 12:25 PM   #26
war17
The "e" in e-mail

Which secret rules that you are referring to, mailhunter? All the rules are repeated again and again at the top of each forum. Have you read them?
Old 15 Dec 2004, 12:48 PM   #27
ReuvenNY

Moderator: This discussion turned into banned services and is being closed. Please keep in mind the rules of not discussing the issue of banning.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 02:57 PM   #28
Edwin
 Administrator 

From the very public and not at all secret Rules that govern the interactions of ALL forum-goers:-

Quote:
B) Moderation decisions are FINAL. If a post has been edited or deleted, a thread locked, a member or service banned etc., that particular issue is closed. Do not post to debate moderator action or to second-guess potential moderator action.
Closed Thread